• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What other insects do people keep?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline evanmancini2011 - Posted July 28 2024 - 1:41 PM

evanmancini2011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationParker Colorado

I am very into keeping Ants and was wondering what other insects do people keep? I would love to learn what other insects ant keepers keep!

#2 Offline Stubyvast - Posted July 28 2024 - 2:35 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

These are the ones I've kept/currently keeping! Mostly caught from my backyard, or discovered:

Ear-wigs

Isopods (so cute)

Mealworms (don't know if they count)

Beetles

Centipedes

Millipedes

Common flies (didn't go so well)

Some type of underground dwelling snail (found in my terrarium)

Aphids (suddenly appeared in my terrarium)

A Tarantula (Unsure of species, my good friend IdioticMouse26 lent it to me while he's on vacation)

Mites (introduced into one of my terrariums to get rid of mold, actually works!)

I've also heard you can keep:

Stick bugs

Praying mantises

Butterflies/caterpillars

Fruit flies (for food)

Crickets (also for food)

Cockroaches (also for food)

Termites (really fun to keep, I've heard)

Paper Wasps (a very interesting experiment, IdioticMouse26 currently has them)

Bees (duh)

And lots more I've probably forgotten! I've also noted that a lot of other ant keepers besides me keep fish. Connection? No idea. Probably just because they're so easy to keep. 

Edited by Stubyvast, July 30 2024 - 2:28 PM.

• Mushu, Artisan_Ants and cooIboyJ like this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#3 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 28 2024 - 3:26 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I'm mostly into jumping spiders, particularly the rarer species like phidippus tux which I've now been culturing for 2 years.

#4 Offline evanmancini2011 - Posted July 28 2024 - 3:30 PM

evanmancini2011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationParker Colorado

Wow that is impressive how many you keep! Do you have any tips on how to keep Arthropods, Beetles, mealworms, and centipedes?

And for mbullock do you have any tips on how to find jumping spiders and how to raise them?

Thank you so much for all your help!

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 28 2024 - 4:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,768 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Besides ants, I culture mealworms and fruit flies as feeders. I also have two species of isopods (I think that’s what the above posters meant by arthropods), and two Phidippus regius jumping spiders. I raised several mantis species last year as well.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 28 2024 - 7:38 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Wow that is impressive how many you keep! Do you have any tips on how to keep Arthropods, Beetles, mealworms, and centipedes?

And for mbullock do you have any tips on how to find jumping spiders and how to raise them?

it depends truly on what you seek.  as for raising them, youll need flightless fruitflies for the spiderlings.  they're easy to keep and generally  require no substrate, though terrestrial species are happier on sand or rocks.

look up "phidippus" in inaturalist, then click on "about" then click on the photos, then you'll see a location search- type in your county or wherever you wish to hunt and the photo gallery will show everything from your target area if it's been obderved by the site.

#7 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted July 29 2024 - 8:08 AM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCommerce Township, Michigan
Other than ants I have mealworms and termites for feeders.
I have an Ariadna bicolor tube dwelling spider, and am in the process of setting up equipment for a Scolopendra heros.

#8 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted July 29 2024 - 8:40 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
I know some people keep wasps.

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#9 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 29 2024 - 9:58 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationGermany

No other insects (although I kept African beetles in the past, the nice shiny colorful ones)-

but right now I have several tanks with cherry shrimp and I just set up a small tank with Thai micro crabs- the smallest crabs in the world!

• Stubyvast, Mushu and cooIboyJ like this

#10 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted July 29 2024 - 10:13 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

I do keep some guppies and cherry shrimp and some cory catfish with a yellow mystery snail.

Edited by cooIboyJ, July 29 2024 - 10:14 AM.

• Ernteameise and IdioticMouse26 like this

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#11 Offline Stubyvast - Posted July 29 2024 - 3:42 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yup I can give you some tips! I actually don't have much professional experience with Isopods, specifically roly-polies, but here's what I got:

I keep them in a forest-type terrarium, and always ensure they have rotten wood available to shelter under and forage in, as well as become a host for beneficial bacteria and mites. I feed them leaf litter, mosses, and also lichen from tree branches, which surprisingly they love! Also apple slices. They love those too. They seem to give birth in clutches of ten or so, and the babies grow decently fast, but are hard to spot at first!

As for mealworms, super easy feeder insects to keep:

Give them an open container with high walls to keep them from escaping, and fill about two or three inches with wheat bran, or oats, as I use. They can eat pretty much any vegetable and fruit, and also weeds, as I discovered. Don't bother watering them, they rely on the veggies for water. They like it dry! I like to separate adult beetles from the rest of the mealworms just so they don't eat each other, especially if it gets crowded.

Beetles, centipedes, and millipedes I actually don't know much about! I assume for the most part they are omnivores, and scavengers, relying on dead insects and plant matter. I actually don't interact much with these guys, but they love it in my terrarium! So something in there is providing them adequate shelter and sustenance. 

Hope this helped!

Edited by Stubyvast, July 30 2024 - 2:28 PM.

Currently raising: 

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 29 2024 - 5:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,768 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yup I can give you some tips! I actually don't have much professional experience with Arthropods, specifically roly-polies, but here's what I got:
I keep them in a forest-type terrarium, and always ensure they have rotten wood available to shelter under and forage in, as well as become a host for beneficial bacteria and mites. I feed them leaf litter, mosses, and also lichen from tree branches, which surprisingly they love! Also apple slices. They love those too. They seem to give birth in clutches of ten or so, and the babies grow decently fast, but are hard to spot at first!
Give them an open container with high walls to keep them from escaping, and fill about two or three inches with wheat bran, or oats, as I use. They can eat pretty much any vegetable and fruit, and also weeds, as I discovered. Don't bother watering them, they rely on the veggies for water. They like it dry! I like to separate adult beetles from the rest of the mealworms just so they don't eat each other, especially if it gets crowded.
Beetles, centipedes, and millipedes I actually don't know much about! I assume for the most part they are omnivores, and scavengers, relying on dead insects and plant matter. I actually don't interact much with these guys, but they love it in my terrarium! So something in there is providing them adequate shelter and sustenance.
Hope this helped!
Rolly pollies are isopods. Arthropods refers to any organism with segmented legs.
  • Stubyvast and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#13 Offline Izzy - Posted July 29 2024 - 8:10 PM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationUtah

I have a terrarium I built that I keep some Porcellio scaber (lava morph) isopods in. They're super cool and low maintenance! Although they've basically eaten everything dead and green I had in the terrarium so its just a bowl of dirt, rocks, and cork bark now.

#14 Offline Entomologyants - Posted July 30 2024 - 2:17 PM

Entomologyants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationA DUSTY PLACE

When I was 3 years old, I kept a cricket farm in a bug hunting cage.

I think I like Fire Ants.

#15 Offline Stubyvast - Posted July 30 2024 - 2:27 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yup I can give you some tips! I actually don't have much professional experience with Arthropods, specifically roly-polies, but here's what I got:
Hope this helped!
Rolly pollies are isopods. Arthropods refers to any organism with segmented legs.

Oh yah good catch. Editing now

Currently raising: 

#16 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted August 11 2024 - 10:23 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Keeping this to inverts:

When I was a kid, I kept ants. Among athropods, just ants.

Isopods: Restarting in 2019 was due to isopods, but I'm now down to only a couple species (my favorites being Hoffs). Some are invasive, meaning one or two get loose in a bin and ... suddenly it's a powdered orange bin. I also never ordered dwarf whites but seem to have some in an otherwise dead bin....

Feeders: I have some roaches as feeders: dubia and Kenyan, plus some failing mealworm colonies.

Jumping spiders: Ugh, I don't have the best luck with them. I can raise babies to adulthood okay, but.... Let's just say the last group met an untimely end through possible contamination of their water supply. I also was experimentally leaving them with wet substrate to drink from because I was away a few days, and that - maybe because of the water mistake - did not go well. The other problem is that local jumping spiders are small. They are too small for Kenyan roaches. They can do hydei, but my hydei crashed. My mealworms weren't producing tons of very small babies. So just a very awkward size. When I raised the East Coast Phids (regius?) they were easy to keep - I just kept a supply of fly spikes in the fridge.

Other crustacea: I have a nano tank with theoretically a few Neocardina shrimp, but I haven't seen them lately. It's an over-planted over-algaed jungle. There are a bunch of Mollusca but I'm not really excited by snails.

Termites: I have a Termitat that reached full reproductive capability, so I have baby Zoots. I also am trying (again) to get a colony of drywoods.

Ants: The ants really are the most engaging. But then, I'm most familiar with them because they are the most fun to watch.

Oh speaking of keeping insects, in Japan of the 1970's they used to sell pet crickets and staghorn beetles etc. for kids. The only reason I didn't get such things is I couldn't bring them back to Stateside. In Japan, they still sell all sorts of beetles at high collectors' prices. In either the 70's or 80's I also got a plastic dirt-based formicarium from a Japanese kids' magazine (it was the included "free toy" if I recall correctly). What a lot of fun that toy was. I could use it freely with the good old backyard ants, probably Lasius.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, August 11 2024 - 10:31 PM.

• Ernteameise likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus (inactive), vicinus, laevigatus/quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus (inactive)

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and californicus (inactive)

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users