• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fragilis/Festinatus?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ElisAnts - Posted July 31 2024 - 8:31 PM

ElisAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
e0a41b4bdaef5f6d384a4e5246e7e47b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 1 2024 - 2:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,751 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Follow the id format in the template.
  • RushmoreAnts, Artisan_Ants and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Online OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted August 1 2024 - 7:24 AM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

it is leaning more towards the festinatus side because of how it is more darker and how it's patter is more similar but don't rely on my info too much 

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 1 2024 - 9:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,751 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

it is leaning more towards the festinatus side because of how it is more darker and how it's patter is more similar but don't rely on my info too much

My advice is to wait and learn more before offering ids you are not confident about.
  • RushmoreAnts, Ants_Dakota, bmb1bee and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted August 1 2024 - 12:41 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
It would help to know the size of this queen. C. festinatus tends to be larger than C. fragilis at least in queen size from what I’ve seen and heard (correct me if I’m wrong on this) whereas C. fragilis also tends to lack standing setae on pronotum according to AntWiki (but I believe this is for majors). Both species can be the same exact color in variants with an exception of C. fragilis being lighter in color but you never know. So just because this queen is darker doesn’t necessarily mean we should lean more toward festinatus side although it still could be. Since we don’t have any close ups of the pronotum (if it even applies), nor do we know size, we can’t correctly or at least fully accurately ID this queen (without following the ID format as ANTdrew suggested).

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#6 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 4 2024 - 9:43 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Looks like C pudurosus, a member of the festinatus complex.  looks like fragilis but dark, generally found alongside them and flies at the same exact time.

i assume this came from mexico, az or new mexico- the species is largely mexican and central-american and barely pokes into arizona and extreme southwest new mexico.

festinatus, fragilis and absquatulator look identical almost but festinatus has an obvious carina on the clypeus which is how you easily distinguish it from its siblings.

Edited by mbullock42086, August 4 2024 - 9:44 PM.

#7 Offline ReignofRage - Posted August 5 2024 - 5:38 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Camponotus vafer and C. pudorusus have similar coloration to the gyne depending on locale. It's one of the few times color can actually be that helpful. If it's from Arizona, then it is not C. pudorosus - if it's from Mexico, the chance of it being C. pudorosus is more likley due to C. pudorosus appearing to be a complex of 2-3 species. Camponotus fragilis is about as far from this queen as you can get. This is also assuming these are from North America to begin with, haha.

#8 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 5 2024 - 6:55 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Camponotus vafer and C. pudorusus have similar coloration to the gyne depending on locale. It's one of the few times color can actually be that helpful. If it's from Arizona, then it is not C. pudorosus - if it's from Mexico, the chance of it being C. pudorosus is more likley due to C. pudorosus appearing to be a complex of 2-3 species. Camponotus fragilis is about as far from this queen as you can get. This is also assuming these are from North America to begin with, haha.

didn't know that.  explains the unusual 'dark' form with the black head.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users