• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

cooIboyJ’s Brachymyrmex patagonicus journal.

brachymyrmex patagonicus

88 replies to this topic

#81 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 31 2024 - 6:52 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
I checked on my 13 queen colony again (this colony was mentioned in the beginning) and I still don’t see any eggs, I think they are on the cotton because the queens are. The cotton has turned a yellowish brown, and I’m pretty sure that it is from the feces of thirteen queens.

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#82 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 31 2024 - 8:36 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

If there are no eggs by now they could be infertile.

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#83 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 31 2024 - 8:49 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
I’m saying that I think the eggs are all on the cotton where all of the queens are.
  • GOCAMPONOTUS and antlover18 like this

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#84 Online cooIboyJ - Posted September 1 2024 - 2:27 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
The ants were in terrible shape; they had around 5 dead workers in the test tube that had drowned and very little brood so I moved them forcefully. The queen is still alive and she has four workers and some larvae and a pupae. The queen is kind of restarting now. They are now in a new test tube and I gave them a cricket leg and a cotton ball soaked in sugar water. I hope they do well from here on. The good thing is that now they do not need an outworld anymore and I can give it to my fire ants.

Edited by cooIboyJ, September 1 2024 - 2:28 PM.

• Karma likes this

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#85 Online cooIboyJ - Posted September 3 2024 - 5:28 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
I’ve looked at the thirteen queen colony and I don’t see any eggs so I’ve decided that they are infertile. Though, I have caught so many more brachymyrmex patagonicus queens and have run out of my 100 pack of test tubes I had to combine some of them, so I put ~30 queens in a 12 by 100 millimeter test tube :D. They have killed off ~8 queens (I think because those queens were infertile) and I’m now left with ~22 queens and a huge pile of just eggs :lol:. It was really quick for them to lay eggs, especially compared to my other colony which took around 3/4 of a month to lay its first egg. I’m excited for this colony and hope they do well! I’ll post some pics next time I check up on the colony.

Edited by cooIboyJ, September 3 2024 - 5:29 PM.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#86 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted September 3 2024 - 5:45 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I’ve looked at the thirteen queen colony and I don’t see any eggs so I’ve decided that they are infertile. Though, I have caught so many more brachymyrmex patagonicus queens and have run out of my 100 pack of test tubes I had to combine some of them, so I put ~30 queens in a 12 by 100 millimeter test tube :D. They have killed off ~8 queens (I think because those queens were infertile) and I’m now left with ~22 queens and a huge pile of just eggs :lol:. It was really quick for them to lay eggs, especially compared to my other colony which took around 3/4 of a month to lay its first egg. I’m excited for this colony and hope they do well! I’ll post some pics next time I check up on the colony.

i would never kill queens when i think they are infertile. they just sometimes take a while to lay eggs.

• cooIboyJ likes this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#87 Online cooIboyJ - Posted September 3 2024 - 6:01 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
The queens killed off other queens. Not me.

Edited by cooIboyJ, September 3 2024 - 6:01 PM.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#88 Online cooIboyJ - Posted September 6 2024 - 12:33 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

I have checked on the ~22 queen colony and the egg pile has doubled in size and I think that there are some larvae.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#89 Online cooIboyJ - Posted September 9 2024 - 8:44 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

The first colony of ants are doing well; they have a good sized brood pile and they have a pupae that is about to eclose.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brachymyrmex patagonicus

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users