• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

cooIboyJ’s Brachymyrmex patagonicus journal.

brachymyrmex patagonicus

88 replies to this topic

#41 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 21 2024 - 9:26 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Just post a thread in the marketplace. OR reach out to Anthony from his website also pm him.

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, August 21 2024 - 9:26 AM.

• cooIboyJ likes this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#42 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 21 2024 - 9:34 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Here is a link https://www.statesideants.com/sellants

• cooIboyJ likes this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

#43 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 21 2024 - 2:44 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
My ant colony’s test tube is almost dry and I’m going to move them into a new test tube soon because I’m worried they are not getting enough water, but I want to know what the most stress-free way to move them is. I’m probably going to tape another test tube to this one but I want to know if there are any better options.

This is what it looks like:

gallery_8256_2377_683292.jpeg

Edited by cooIboyJ, August 21 2024 - 2:45 PM.

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#44 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 21 2024 - 3:33 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

You could tape them and cover the new tube while shining light on the other. Occasionally open the tape for air.

• Artisan_Ants, cooIboyJ and antlover18 like this

1 M.ergatognya

#45 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 21 2024 - 3:36 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

You could tape them and cover the new tube while shining light on the other. Occasionally open the tape for air.

Right now I have the colony’s test tube wrapped In a towel with a hole for air in my closet and I was think of taping the test tubes together, poking some air holes in the tape with a needle, and putting the new test tube In the towel with the old test tube sticking out and keeping the closet light on until they have moved into the new test tube.

Edited by cooIboyJ, August 21 2024 - 3:39 PM.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#46 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 21 2024 - 3:38 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

You sure they wouldn't escape from the towel? And for that the hole would have to be TINY

• cooIboyJ and antlover18 like this

1 M.ergatognya

#47 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 21 2024 - 3:39 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

You sure they wouldn't escape from the towel? And for that the hole would have to be TINY

oh, that was a mistake I’ll fix it.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#48 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 21 2024 - 4:18 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
I’ve started the move, this is the setup they are in right now:

gallery_8256_2377_1443031.jpeg

gallery_8256_2377_499704.jpeg

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#49 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 21 2024 - 4:36 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I meant having the new tube dark and old in light

1 M.ergatognya

#50 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 21 2024 - 4:56 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
The old tube is in the light and the new tub is in the towel.
  • GOCAMPONOTUS and IdioticMouse26 like this

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#51 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 22 2024 - 7:36 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
The ants really seem like they do not want to move out; they are just sitting right next to the cotton ball holding back the water of the old tube. Are there any tips for making the move faster? Or should I just keep them in the old test tube. I’m worried about the feeding, because I have to open up the tape and since the workers are sooooo tiny they might escape whenever I open the tape. Right now they do not have any sugar source and I don’t want to open the tape. So should I keep trying to move them in, or should try a different method, or should i just keep them in their old test tube? A good thing is that last night two more workers eclosed and I now have 11-14 workers (I don’t know the exact number because they are so tiny and hard to count). I’m starting to think maybe I should dump them into the new test tube.

Edited by cooIboyJ, August 22 2024 - 7:49 AM.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#52 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted August 22 2024 - 8:13 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
DO NOT dump small species into a test tube. I once did this with a young S. molesta colony to give to my friend (I was moving them to a new test tube) and the brood scattered and took almost an hour to finish forcefully moving them. It’s extremely stressful to do and to the ants. Best you just give them time to do it themselves. I have a larger colony of S. molesta which is almost a year long old with 100+ workers and one queen, and they moved fine on their own. Once they discover the new tube, it will only be some time for them to move in.
  • RushmoreAnts likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#53 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 22 2024 - 8:23 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

DO NOT dump small species into a test tube. I once did this with a young S. molesta colony to give to my friend (I was moving them to a new test tube) and the brood scattered and took almost an hour to finish forcefully moving them. It’s extremely stressful to do and to the ants. Best you just give them time to do it themselves. I have a larger colony of S. molesta which is almost a year long old with 100+ workers and one queen, and they moved fine on their own. Once they discover the new tube, it will only be some time for them to move in.

I won’t dump them but I’m worried about them not moving because they are just sitting there acting as if nothing has happened; they are barely sensitive to vibrations or the light, when I got them set up they ran around a bit and then just acted a if nothing has happened and I’m worried about them not getting sugar. Should I just stop trying to get them to move, keep trying, or maybe move them into a tubs and tubes setup early and move them by setting the new test tube next to the old one. The ants have already discovered the new test tube and don’t care about it, that is what is making me think they don’t want to move. I’ve counted all of the ants this time and they have 13 workers.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#54 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 22 2024 - 10:10 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
I’ve put the ants on my window sill and the sunlight seemed to do the trick. Pics:

gallery_8256_2377_66769.jpeg

gallery_8256_2377_928777.jpeg

The workers started moving brood around and when they find the new test tube again they will hopefully move.

Edited by cooIboyJ, August 22 2024 - 10:11 AM.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#55 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 22 2024 - 12:02 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

I've stopped moving the ants because the sun's heat almost drowned the ants so i think ima do a different method of moving the ants

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#56 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 22 2024 - 12:03 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

It'd be easier if you gave them an outworld. They'd move into the new test tube as soon as the old one dries out. No need to stress them out, just let them move out when the conditions actually become unsuitable.

• Artisan_Ants and cooIboyJ like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#57 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 22 2024 - 12:10 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

It'd be easier if you gave them an outworld. They'd move into the new test tube as soon as the old one dries out. No need to stress them out, just let them move out when the conditions actually become unsuitable.

Do you think that they have enough workers to do a tubs and tubes setup??? The worker count right now is 13-14 workers.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#58 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 22 2024 - 7:52 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
Alright I think I’m going to give them an outworld now because I did some research and got four answers: 1. You can give the ants an outworld once the first nanitics arrive. 2. You can give them an outworld when they have 5-10 workers. 3. You can give them an outworld when they have 15-20 workers. 4. You can give them an out world when it’s hard to feed them without an escapee. 50% of people said the first one and 20% of people said the second one and 20% said the last one and 10% said the third one. Now I have to buy a container and perfect cast. :)

Edited by cooIboyJ, August 23 2024 - 5:32 AM.

• Artisan_Ants and IdioticMouse26 like this

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#59 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 23 2024 - 8:51 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
Last evening I went to the park and caught a bunch of beetles and flys and froze them overnight. This morning I fed the smaller of the two flys to my ants. This is my ants first non-protein meal that isn’t fish food. I’ve noticed that when I fed them it was kinda hard the get the fly in there without the ants escaping, another reminder that my ants are ready for an outworld.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#60 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 23 2024 - 9:33 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Last evening I went to the park and caught a bunch of beetles and flys and froze them overnight. This morning I fed the smaller of the two flys to my ants. This is my ants first non-protein meal that isn’t fish food. I’ve noticed that when I fed them it was kinda hard the get the fly in there without the ants escaping, another reminder that my ants are ready for an outworld.

is the park pesticide treated?

1 M.ergatognya

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brachymyrmex patagonicus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users