• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Are these 2 ants different species? Which ones could it be?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Someone - Posted August 1 2024 - 11:53 PM

Someone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

A few days ago I caught the ant in the test tube. I think it's Myrmica Rubra. Yesterday I caught another ant that looks very similar. So I thought it was Rubra and as I read that they are polygynous, I put them together. They didn't fight, when they met they stressed a little but after some time they just stood facing each other very close but without any signs of aggression.

They spent the night standing like this in the small arena outside the test tube that I gave them, but then I noticed that they look a bit different. The new ant is overall darker, has a darker gaster and is a tiny bit smaller. I separated them and the original Rubra queen immediately went back into the test tube. Does anybody recognize these species or are they the same and I can put them together? 

The first ant:
20240802_090652.jpg
20240802_090652(0).jpg
20240802_090648.jpg

The second ant: 
20240802_090907.jpg
20240802_090909.jpg
20240802_090916.jpg

Attached Images

• 20240802_091409.jpg

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 2 2024 - 2:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,751 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Use the ID template to give more information.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted August 2 2024 - 7:03 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Yeah like what ANTdrew mentioned, you might want ant to use the ID template. We need to know size, where she was collected, etc. Otherwise, both look like M. rubra to me (especially since they both didn’t attack each other as Myrmica tends to be aggressive at a very early stage unless polygynous like M. rubra). The darker one is just a different color contrast which this very common within this species.
  • Someone likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#4 Offline Someone - Posted August 2 2024 - 7:43 AM

Someone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Denmark, 1st caught around 23-25th July,  2nd caught 1st August.
1 Caught in a forest, the other one in a different town next to a parking lot.
Both are around 6-7mm long.
1st is a little bit more red/orange, the 2nd is darker.

Yeah like what ANTdrew mentioned, you might want ant to use the ID template. We need to know size, where she was collected, etc. Otherwise, both look like M. rubra to me (especially since they both didn’t attack each other as Myrmica tends to be aggressive at a very early stage unless polygynous like M. rubra). The darker one is just a different color contrast which this very common within this species.

Thanks, so I think I will put them together to have a 2 queen colony instead of 2 colonies with only 1.

#5 Offline Someone - Posted August 2 2024 - 8:08 AM

Someone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

There is not aggression, whatsoever, so I think they both are M. Rubra, just different colors. You can see the difference in color in this picture:

Attached Images

• 20240802_175530.jpg

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#6 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted August 2 2024 - 10:25 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
I agree with Myrmica rubra, nice find!

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#7 Offline Someone - Posted August 2 2024 - 1:53 PM

Someone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I agree with Myrmica rubra, nice find!

#8 Offline Someone - Posted August 2 2024 - 1:54 PM

Someone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Thank you! Hopefully I can raise them successfully. I like their color and shape of the workers, would be great to have them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users