• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What grains do pheidole and tetramorium ceaspitum eat, and what are some tips or guides on keeping them?

pheidole diet big headed ants tetramorium grains seeds pavement ants

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheAntKid - Posted July 25 2024 - 3:41 AM

TheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
What grains do pheidole and tetramorium ceaspitum eat, and what are some tips or guides on keeping them?
Formica incerta 1x "The Golden Gasters"
Lasius sp. Host colony 100+ workers
Strumigenys sp. colony 1-2 queens, 5-6 workers 1x

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted July 25 2024 - 4:00 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
I’m no expert on this either of these species but I might be able to lend a few tips on the seeds. From what others have said on an old post on this forum, they said that seeds aren’t necessary for their growth and they don’t need more than they need their usual proteins and carbohydrates (honey or sugar water). Otherwise, people feed them chia seeds, sunflower seeds, dandelion seeds, and any other small seed types (you might even give some seed types that Pogonomyrmex enjoy). Tetramorium will take the same as well if provided. Since I have never kept either species, I would not want to provide mid-leading information on tips for keeping these species so I’ll leave that up to the others who have more experience with these species.
  • TheAntKid likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 25 2024 - 4:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sesame seeds, crushed walnut, and hemp hearts are favorites for my Tetramorium. You must have T. immigrans, by the way, unless you collected your queen in Europe.
  • Stubyvast, Artisan_Ants, TheAntKid and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline TheAntKid - Posted July 25 2024 - 4:20 AM

TheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

I think they are tetramorium caespitum, but I do know that there is some stuff that myrmecologists are trying to figure out between European pavement ants and American ones.

Edited by TheAntKid, July 25 2024 - 4:22 AM.

#5 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted July 25 2024 - 4:57 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

I think they are tetramorium caespitum, but I do know that there is some stuff that myrmecologists are trying to figure out between European pavement ants and American ones.

Nowdays, populations of T. caespitum are known as T. immigrans in the US. They have slight differences under microscopic shots (like from AntWeb or AntWiki) but by the naked eye, are basically the same thing.
  • Stubyvast and TheAntKid like this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#6 Offline TheAntKid - Posted July 25 2024 - 4:18 PM

TheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Does anyone have any tips for pheidole and tetramorium general care?

#7 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted July 25 2024 - 4:22 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

There are basically no T.ceaspitum in the USA you are probably thinking of T.immigrans. And in terms of them they are a fast growing species who love protein.

Mine don't take to carbs as much protein.

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, July 25 2024 - 4:23 PM.

• Artisan_Ants and TheAntKid like this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 25 2024 - 4:44 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Does anyone have any tips for pheidole and tetramorium general care?

Use the search feature to look up care sheets for these species. I wrote the one on Pheidole bicarinata.
  • TheAntKid likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline TheAntKid - Posted July 25 2024 - 5:36 PM

TheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

What is a good nest for a pheidole colony? Would a small formicarium, mini hearth style work?

Edited by TheAntKid, July 25 2024 - 5:45 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole, diet, big headed ants, tetramorium, grains, seeds, pavement ants

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users