• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants that "don't have castes"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted July 23 2024 - 1:58 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Lasius brunneus are little brown garden ants that are not thought of as "having castes" … most ant guides will describe all their workers as "all the same size."

However, these photos from antiwiki show the size difference in workers from a mature colony vs. nanitic workers. The nanitic workers are small since their initial nutrition must come in its entirety from the body of the queen!

Do you have enough mass in your body to make three or four people to help you out? I don't!

https://www.antwiki....Lasius_brunneus

I've edited the image to compare all of the ants together:

felP7JG.png

• Stubyvast and BleepingBleepers like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline Stubyvast - Posted July 23 2024 - 3:25 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Nope, me neither thank goodness! I'm not that huge.

Yeah it could be confusing, I mean my Lasius Niger colony does seem to have "no castes" besides queen, male, and worker. However, I think that the caste difference is just hard to notice until you observe closely. For example, my colony seems to mostly to have workers in the "Later Nanitic Worker" caste, probably because of a lack of threats, constant food supply, and a small colony size of about 100 workers (not for long though, the brood pile is getting huge). But if you compare this to the same species, which I found outside, 90% of these ants are all "Typical Worker of Mature Colony," perfectly adapted to predators, aphid tending and protecting, and the overall environment. I bet the variety of food they find out there probably helps, as well as the size of the colony. Very interesting stuff!

But you are correct, they do have castes, but they are simply less noticeable. This wouldn't quite qualify as "minor polymorphism" found in formica obscuripes, among others, or simply "polymorphic" such as ​Camponotus modoc, or the "Extreme polymorphism" in pheidole calafornica, with their massive classes of majors, that can be as big or bigger than the queen. Lasius brunneus, and ​Lasius niger, both neglect to produce the specialized major class, unlike other ant species. 

• futurebird likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#3 Offline bmb1bee - Posted July 23 2024 - 3:42 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

These don't really count as extra castes. Nanitics are really just smaller workers due to the lack of nutrients. Antwiki doesn't have nanitics listed under the list of castes I believe. True castes refer to terms like minors, medians, majors, and supermajors.

https://www.antwiki....inology#Workers

• OiledOlives, futurebird, Stubyvast and 1 other like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#4 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted July 24 2024 - 10:01 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
I belive species with "no castes" are referred to as monomorphic like L. Niger and brunneus but speaking of this, it's quite interesting as they aren't listed as castes cause of you think about it, the more abundant food is to a colony, the more workers and also the larger the workers like in futurebird's example of L. brunneus sizes. The thing is, for polymorphic species, they also need abundance of food (primarily protein) to develop such large majors and their workers also follow the larger minor worker thing that monomorphic species follow. I guess the reason myrmecologists do this is to make it easier to sort out the various size differences of polymorphic and monomorphic species. It would be annoying to make names specific names for every size or castes cause or makes more confusing than what ants already are (as a compliment to the various things ants already have already done and accomplished). It also generally makes it confusing as myrmecologists have to note down and write down about certain scies as well as citate certain sources on things like Antwiki and AntWeb so not including specific castes just makes these jobs easier.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted July 24 2024 - 10:07 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I was actually just researching a similar topic. For a while I had assumed nanitics were just the extreme low end of the worker caste's allometric variation, underdeveloped/stunted due to limited resources. However, according to the literature I've seen so far, they are more distinct than I had expected. A study by Watanabe et al., 2017 on Camponotus obscuripes showed that the nanitic workers were distinct from mature workers: when various allometric traits were put on scatter plot graphs, the nanitics clustered together and often had relatively little overlap with the proportions of mature workers, and followed a different allometric slope and growth rules than mature workers. They conclude that C. obscuripes has diphasic allometry rather than the previously believed monophasic allometry.

What exactly constitutes a caste varies greatly depending on who you ask. However the general consensus, to my knowledge, is that worker castes should be fully separate and not upon the same allometric scale, without intermediate forms, and often also with some distinct recycled or novel trait(s) and often some sort of change in epigenetic expression. Some people, like the paper I linked above, may consider nanitics to be a separate caste, some may consider them a subcaste, it's largely just semantics. However, to address the initial point of this thread, when a species is said to be monomorphic, dimorphic, polymorphic, etc., it's referring to the distribution of worker castes in a mature colony; Since many, if not most, species have a nanitic caste/subcaste, it's not particularly useful to include when discussing more general caste variation between species.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, July 24 2024 - 10:09 AM.

• OhNoNotAgain, futurebird, bmb1bee and 2 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users