• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can't choose

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted July 23 2024 - 4:02 AM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Florida

After my mom saw i can take care of an ant colony, my tetramorium, she is willing to let me get a species i like, i can't choose which though, please help me 

• Camponotus pennsylvanicus
  • Formica subseriea
  • Pogonomyrmex badius
  • Lasius neoniger
  • Prenolepis imparis

please help me choose

• GOCAMPONOTUS likes this

#2 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted July 23 2024 - 4:11 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
Don’t get Prenolepis, I’ve heard they are a pain to keep due to how sensitive to stress they can be.
Camponotus is a good ant, but since you’re buying the colony, I would get them with workers so you don’t have to wait two months.
  • GOCAMPONOTUS and cooIboyJ like this

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#3 Online bmb1bee - Posted July 23 2024 - 6:36 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA
Pogonomyrmex are pretty easy for beginners, given that you can supply heat and seeds. They are also more hardy and grow more quickly than Formica and Camponotus.

Edited by bmb1bee, July 23 2024 - 6:36 AM.

• Artisan_Ants, GOCAMPONOTUS and cooIboyJ like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#4 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted July 23 2024 - 6:49 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I love camponotus but if you want a faster growing species I would go for Pogonomyrmex

• cooIboyJ and antlover18 like this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#5 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted July 23 2024 - 7:16 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
Lasius neoniger are easy to care for but they are on the smaller side so if you want a bigger ant then go with Camponotus or pogonomyrmex but if you are fine with lasius neoniger size then they will be a great ant to keep.

Edited by cooIboyJ, July 23 2024 - 7:21 AM.

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus: https://www.formicul...onicus-journal/

Solenopsis invictahttps://www.formicul...nvicta-journal/

Crematogaster sp.: https://www.formicul...ter-sp-journal/

#6 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted July 23 2024 - 7:35 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Everyone's answer to your question is most commonly going to be the ants they would keep for the reasons they keep ants.

But what you desire/what you expect to experience, is kind of the fulcrum point of this choice.

Why keep ants, is the answer to what ants to keep.

Like if you are me the two highest "must haves" on my list were, easy to keep(high sucess rate) and low maintenance(low effort). I just wanted something kind of like a terrarium but a little more interactive/interesting to watch than just plants. But nothing like a real pet or challenging demands on my time.

So Pogonomyrmex was an obvious chocie for me as they are very easy all around. And some of them that live in desert environments won't demand a diapause down time, but use diapause to rest when living conditions (food/temperature/water) are poor enough. As opposed to Camponotus that have their own internal clock and will need an annual diapause period.

For others they may want to keep the biggest ants, or the smallest ants, or try to succeed where most fail, and so on and so on. That's the answer to what ants to keep. The biggest ones they can get for that person, the smallest ones they can get for another, the ones we know have a high fail rate in captivity are best for that 3rd example person's interests.

If you could ask:

I like/want to keep ants that _____, and ___, and are ____. Which ones would you recommend?

That would direct answers to be about what you might like most, instead of people saying what they liked/wanted most.

just say'n, might help you get a better for you answer here.

Of course Pogonomyrmex Badius is my recommend. A larger ant they are easy to watch, easy to care for/keep(poor climbers) and have polymorphic workers which most Pogonomyrmex don't.

Edited by Full_Frontal_Yeti, July 23 2024 - 7:35 AM.

• bmb1bee and Artisan_Ants like this

#7 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted July 23 2024 - 8:44 AM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
I want a fl native species (all of those are native but they are the northern strain of the species so they require hibernation unlike the southern strain which i can't catch due to RIFA infestations every where) so ill go with Pogonomyrmex

Edited by JustabirdfromFlorida, July 23 2024 - 8:45 AM.

• Artisan_Ants and GOCAMPONOTUS like this

#8 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted July 23 2024 - 8:57 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

I want a fl native species (all of those are native but they are the northern strain of the species so they require hibernation unlike the southern strain which i can't catch due to RIFA infestations every where) so ill go with Pogonomyrmex

Never had a chance to keep Pogonomyrmex but they look like an extremely fun species to keep as what I’ve seen from others.

Don’t get Prenolepis, I’ve heard they are a pain to keep due to how sensitive to stress they can be.
Camponotus is a good ant, but since you’re buying the colony, I would get them with workers so you don’t have to wait two months.

I keep four of these colonies of the same species and you about basically everything. Very stressful to light and vibrations or any kind of disturbance but very hardy species.

Edited by Artisan_Ants, July 23 2024 - 8:58 AM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#9 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 23 2024 - 9:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I don’t know anything about P. badius, but I recommend Camponotus pennsylvanicus. All the rest will die out after a year or so in captivity.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted July 23 2024 - 1:49 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

The south is not just a massive RIFA infestation, we have plenty of other ants, you just need to get away from the cities and towns.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#11 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted July 23 2024 - 7:26 PM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
I really can't get away because School and stuff I really don't know, I really like formica though, I just can't choose

#12 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted July 24 2024 - 9:35 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

I really can't get away because School and stuff I really don't know, I really like formica though, I just can't choose

Definitely don't recommend getting the Lasius or Prenolepis. Pogonomyrmex is up to you (heard they have painful stings but with the right barrier, it's no problem) but yeah Formica and Camponotus are both very hardy species. Specifically noting that both species are black in color, Formica is more agile and fast than Camponotus, whereas Camponotus is more tough but very slow. If you like fast ants (and can tolerate the fact that they get stressed easily by light and vibration but settle down fast as well) then Formica might be for you. If fast movements are too much, them I would consider Camponotus out of the two (less stressed to light especially when they get more workers). They also grow fast after some time (usually about a year) whereas Formica tend to grow after their second generation of workers (at least for me). Truly it's up to you, but personally, I would pick any from Formica, Camponotus, or Pogonomyrmex.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#13 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted July 25 2024 - 11:54 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

Definitely don't recommend getting the Lasius or Prenolepis. Pogonomyrmex is up to you (heard they have painful stings but with the right barrier, it's no problem) but yeah Formica and Camponotus are both very hardy species. Specifically noting that both species are black in color, Formica is more agile and fast than Camponotus, whereas Camponotus is more tough but very slow. If you like fast ants (and can tolerate the fact that they get stressed easily by light and vibration but settle down fast as well) then Formica might be for you. If fast movements are too much, them I would consider Camponotus out of the two (less stressed to light especially when they get more workers). They also grow fast after some time (usually about a year) whereas Formica tend to grow after their second generation of workers (at least for me). Truly it's up to you, but personally, I would pick any from Formica, Camponotus, or Pogonomyrmex.
aren’t lasius neoniger supposed to be good for beginners?
  • GOCAMPONOTUS and IdioticMouse26 like this

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus: https://www.formicul...onicus-journal/

Solenopsis invictahttps://www.formicul...nvicta-journal/

Crematogaster sp.: https://www.formicul...ter-sp-journal/

#14 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 25 2024 - 1:19 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They are fine to begin with, but they grow very slowly and dwindle away after a year or so. It would be a waste of money to order them.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#15 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted July 25 2024 - 4:13 PM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
I really like Prenolepis, I think I'll get them

#16 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 25 2024 - 4:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

So you’re choosing the one species nobody recommended?

#17 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted July 25 2024 - 11:37 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

I agree with this. It's a pretty stressful species to keep although fun once they receive workers. I would recommend getting a colony with workers for higher success rate but once again, it's up to you.

Keeping:

#18 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted July 26 2024 - 5:19 AM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I know no one recommends them but I really like prenolepis mostly because if the queens color, estavation and replete.

#19 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted July 26 2024 - 5:20 AM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I agree with this. It's a pretty stressful species to keep although fun once they receive workers. I would recommend getting a colony with workers for higher success rate but once again, it's up to you.
I'd get a colony with 5 workers minimum, I just always have bad luck founding colonies with lone queens

#20 Offline ColKurtz - Posted July 26 2024 - 7:44 AM

ColKurtz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey/Massachuetts

I'd get a colony with 5 workers minimum, I just always have bad luck founding colonies with lone queens

If you want color, why not do Camponotus socius or Camponotus castaneus, I don't know if Camponotus socius is difficult to keep, but I would bet its easier than Prenolepis (I know these weren't on the list you put, but they are suggestions if you want ants with color and are easier to keep).

Also, Prenolepis are probably the least active ants i've ever kept (I have a 2 year old colony and not once have I seen them in their outworld once, they have about 25-35 workers), so if you want something more active, I wouldn't choose Prenolepis, but its all up to you what you want

Edited by ColKurtz, July 26 2024 - 7:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users