• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Acromyrmex versicolor 09Aug24

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SegaGenitals - Posted August 9 2024 - 6:23 AM

SegaGenitals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAz

Was out on a drive this morning in Tucson AZ and ran into huge swarms of these getting run over on the road. Saved as many as I could.  Not sure what to do with so many but perhaps selling them to someone who sells ants at a discount and let them deal with them would be the simplest.  I'm only keeping a couple for myself :) 

Attached Images

• IMG_2527.jpg
  • IMG_2526.jpg
  • 20240809_061649.jpg

• eea and Artisan_Ants like this

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 9 2024 - 10:43 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I know you're probably very excited about this, but those queens are most likely not going to be viable. I've never had an Acromyrmex queen with wings picked from a ground group like that actually found a colony. They were most likely not mated yet and were collected before their flight.

I do hope I'm wrong though and you have some good colonies come from it!

• bmb1bee likes this

#3 Offline SegaGenitals - Posted August 9 2024 - 11:04 AM

SegaGenitals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAz

I grabbed them mid gangbang and they're starting to shed their wings. I know not to get alates before they leave their nest.  Also they are mixed from 5 different swarms in different locations.  If they didn't mate its not because there was no options for them. Half of them at least are male so I'm still sorting 

• B_rad0806 and bmb1bee like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users