• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Unhappy Formica colony

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted July 21 2024 - 4:29 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I'm a little concerned about this Formica subsericea. They have a dark nest under the sand, but during the day the queen comes to the surface. If she hears a noise they all run underground as shown in this video.

They seem unsettled. I'm going to offer them a test tube in their outworld to see if that helps?

I don't know why they don't stay underground. It's not over moist or dry. They also spend very little time in the outworld. It's amazing how fast they move.

Until about two weeks ago they had lots of eggs and brood and were in a small nest box. But the brood tampered off so I tried moving them to this new set up a week ago. They dug a nest but have not really taken to it as this video shows. 

Hm.

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted July 21 2024 - 5:30 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
That’s odd, I wonder what’s stressing that queen out. I do wonder if the workers are bringing brood (if they have any) outside. If not, it means the queen is the only ant who’s stressed out like this.

Perhaps wrapping the nest in wrapping paper or anything to block light out could prevent this. I also suggest using foam, or cloth as a border between the desk/table/countertop they are on, and the nest. This should keep out vibrations.
  • futurebird likes this

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#3 Offline futurebird - Posted July 21 2024 - 5:32 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

The nest is wrapped on the lower half, but they keep coming to the top where the light is. 

I could just cover the whole thing and let them live up there. 

#4 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 22 2024 - 1:28 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

either they want more heat or they loathe the substrate itself.  might require some sort of clay addition to make them happy.

formica are known for being heat-lovers.  

edit: solved 

Edited by mbullock42086, July 23 2024 - 3:01 PM.

• futurebird likes this

#5 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 22 2024 - 2:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Are there any happy Formica colonies in captivity? Nobody on this forum has a truly large colony, much less one that has produced alates. I think that says a lot about the difficulties of keeping Formica long term. I hope I am wrong, but I just haven’t seen any evidence to the contrary in my years cruising formiculture.
  • futurebird and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline futurebird - Posted July 22 2024 - 6:08 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

So I put a little heater on one side of the sand nest... and... it worked? They are underground and even have a few foragers out. I don't know if I've totally calmed them... poor nervous girls.

I'm going to leave them alone as much as I can and hope that they don't abandon their nest again.

(I have had the AC on so maybe they feel like they aren't in a proper summer.)

The sand is the same sand I use for all my other ants. My Pogonomyrmex dug this kind of sand in a similar set up with no issues. I don't think it's the sand, but this heat thing could be a factor. 

#7 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 23 2024 - 3:04 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

So I put a little heater on one side of the sand nest... and... it worked? They are underground and even have a few foragers out. I don't know if I've totally calmed them... poor nervous girls.

I'm going to leave them alone as much as I can and hope that they don't abandon their nest again.

The sand is the same sand I use for all my other ants. My Pogonomyrmex dug this kind of sand in a similar set up with no issues. I don't think it's the sand, but this heat thing could be a factor. 

I've noted when my ants needed heat, they would always pile all the cocoons toward the light source thinking its sunlight lol

#8 Offline Stubyvast - Posted July 23 2024 - 3:16 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yup makes sense! Either they just needed heat, cuz like you said the AC was on, or the heat overwhelmed any fears of the substrate, and settled them down. If they're sending out foragers, then that's good! Likely they've settled in and the queen is brood-making, and hungry for food. Nice! 

I've noted when my ants needed heat, they would always pile all the cocoons toward the light source thinking its sunlight lol

I mean it's likely that the light does provide a tiny bit of heat, so yes, they would think it helped! Funny how ants do that haha.

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users