• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Parasitic formica? NY

Best Answer GOCAMPONOTUS , July 19 2024 - 5:02 PM

Its C.sp most likely Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline m99 - Posted July 19 2024 - 4:53 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationCT

This queen's so big I was sure she was a Camponotus, but her gaster was not the usual shape, and now I've seen her up close she seems like a formica? And I assume parasitic given that chonker of a head. But she's so BIG. Do they really get this big?

Captured: NY Hudson valley, forested area

Length: 21mm

Attached Images

• 20240719_204517.jpg
  • 20240719_204439.jpg

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#2 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted July 19 2024 - 5:02 PM   Best Answer

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Its C.sp most likely Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, July 19 2024 - 5:02 PM.

• m99 likes this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#3 Offline m99 - Posted July 19 2024 - 5:18 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationCT

oh hell I really am rusty lol. well at least my first instinct was right

thanks

#4 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted July 19 2024 - 7:48 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

oh hell I really am rusty lol. well at least my first instinct was right

thanks

No problem, also she looks very thin so I would give her some sugar water.

• m99 and Artisan_Ants like this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#5 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted July 20 2024 - 2:03 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Yeah I agree with C. pennsylvanicus. Non-parasitic species and definitely NOT Formica; but yeah I would agree on feeding her something (sugar water or honey). Nice find as I look for this species all the time but never find any de-alates or queens even though they are the most abundant Camponotus species in my area. It’s very weird but anyways good luck!
  • m99 likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#6 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 20 2024 - 12:52 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Yeah I agree with C. pennsylvanicus. Non-parasitic species and definitely NOT Formica; but yeah I would agree on feeding her something (sugar water or honey). Nice find as I look for this species all the time but never find any de-alates or queens even though they are the most abundant Camponotus species in my area. It’s very weird but anyways good luck!

a while back i noticed that species has a particular fondness for orange trees due to cottony cushion scales. they were accidentally brought to orange county CA during the citrus farming days.

back then all our telephone poles were made of dead pine trees so it gave them a real nice way to spread.  you may still actually find some alates near the anaheim police station on santa ana st.

we had an orange tree that was against our house and the ants nested in the eave and had ready access to sugar care of said scales. 

• m99 and Artisan_Ants like this

#7 Offline m99 - Posted July 23 2024 - 9:17 AM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationCT

Yeah unfortunately I've been through a few Camponotus queens in my time, though I don't really go anting these days and clearly I forgot what they look like in the last couple years lol. You're right that she was hungry and shrunken though, she went after a drop of sunburst the second I put her in her nuptial nest.

Personal history tells me I'm likely to just find her dead in a couple weeks when I check on her, but here's hoping.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users