• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole ID Request Alexandria, VA

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 14 2024 - 7:47 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
1. Jones Point Park, next to trail by woods along the Potomac River.
2. Date: 7/13/24
3. Habitat: Riparian habitat next to a river
4. Length: about 6mm-7mm
5. Color: Reddish brown with lighter bands on gaster
6. Dealate found at 10:30am wandering on a paved trail.

95-A8600-F-646-C-4173-ACDC-A7-CA87-D0849

C841-A377-1712-4-FFA-96-A2-CFB43-DA9-BB2
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 15 2024 - 6:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Bump. Mettcollsuss, where you at?
  • GOCAMPONOTUS and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#3 Offline ColKurtz - Posted July 15 2024 - 10:03 AM

ColKurtz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey/Massachuetts

most likely a pilifera

#4 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted July 15 2024 - 10:18 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Mettcollsuss, where you at?

LOL. I second P.pilifera

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#5 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted July 15 2024 - 10:59 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
I highly doubt this ID thread would be created on P. pillifera as it is a fairly common species within VA. ANTdrew has been on for a while and has been in the hobby for a long time as well and he definitely knows the ants in his area well. Although I don’t know for sure if P. pillifera is a common species as I don’t live there, I would believe that he would know how to identify P. pillifera if he saw it.

This is still a very good suggestion though but I most likely think it would be P. megacephala or Pheidole megacephala (note the red head and darker colors compared to the brighter colors or other species like that of P. pillifera); a highly invasive species worldwide, occupying multiple countries and areas worldwide which practically makes it a Pheidole version of S. invicta. Distribution on AntWiki shows that Maryland MAY be an affected area by populations of such, and since Alexandria is fairly close by, it would make sense for a P. megacephala queen to have turned up. This species is also known to thrive in all kinds of environments and wipe other ant species and are known to be very aggressive towards them. According to AntWiki, their flights tend to be in August (but that is most likely the average period for flights worldwide since this species has taken over so many places. It could also be the general flight period for their native territory). Since this species has expanded it’s populations to so many areas, it’s flight periods are very likely to be different in other countries obviously based of on various different ecological and non-ecological factors. This would explain why you found this de-alate in July instead of August (August is still a relatively good average if even an average at all). Queens are known to be polygynous which explains why this species is so destructive and expansive as they can form super colonies. In conclusion, I would believe this would be P. megacephala other than different species, or I could be completely wrong and this could just be a weird variant/morph of a native species.

(Please correct me if I’m wrong on any of this).

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#6 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 15 2024 - 1:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I posted this since the queen reminds me a lot of a Pheidole davisi I collected a few years ago. I’m hoping this could be another one, but I wanted some other opinions.

#7 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted July 15 2024 - 11:51 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
I did some verification and I am countering my opinion on P. megacephala as It shows that Maryland may be an affected area but it has no specimens found in those areas. Whatever species this queen is; it is definitely a species in the Pheidole pillifera-group. Between P. pillifera and P. davisi I would think that it looks more like a pillifera queen in my opinion. I can’t seem to get any good looks a P. davisi queens although I’ve heard that they are all black in color. Anyways all in all, I feel like P. pillifera is the best way to go here (agreeing with GOCAMPONOTUS and ColKurtz).

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#8 Offline OiledOlives - Posted July 16 2024 - 8:17 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Pheidole pilifera is correct

• ANTdrew likes this

#9 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 16 2024 - 9:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Cool. She already laid some eggs.
  • SHmealer likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users