• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hi from the UK

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pogonomatt - Posted August 12 2024 - 5:53 AM

Pogonomatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUK

Hi,

I’m Matt, based in the UK, but I grew up in Southern California. I’ve been interested in ants since I was a kid, but stated keeping them (and lots of other insects) more successfully after my BSc Biology. I’m @antchamber on Instagram.

I currently have:

Camponotus cruentatus (2022)

Camponotus fedtschenkoi (2022)
Camponotus fedtschenkoi Dark morph (2023)
Camponotus foreli (2022)
Camponotus maculatus (2022)
Camponotus micans (2022)
Messor barbarus Bicolour (2014)
Messor barbarus Red Head (2018)
Messor capitatus (2010)
Messor wasmanni (2014)
Pogonomyrmex badius (2024)
Pogonomyrmex barbatus (2024)
Pogonomyrmex californicus bicolor (2024)
Pogonomyrmex rugosus (2024)

Looking forward to learning about other people’s experiences keeping ants!

Matt

• RushmoreAnts, Artisan_Ants and GOCAMPONOTUS like this

Camponotus cruentatus (2022), fedtschenkoi (2022), fedtschenkoi Dark morph (2023), foreli (2022), maculatus (2022), micans (2022)

Lasius flavus

Messor barbarus Bicolour (2014), barbarus Red Head (2018), capitatus (2010), wasmanni (2014)
Pogonomyrmex badius (2024), barbatus (2024), californicus bicolor (2024), californicus concolor (2024), rugosus (2024)

#2 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 12 2024 - 6:15 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Welcome! That's quite the collection; I look forward to reading about them!

• Pogonomatt likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#3 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 12 2024 - 8:11 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Welcome to the forum! I would love learning about your ants.

• Pogonomatt likes this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#4 Offline Pogonomatt - Posted August 12 2024 - 1:26 PM

Pogonomatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUK

Thanks for the welcome! My founding colonies this year are all Pogonomyrmex (so far) which I guess a lot of people on the forum are familiar with. Maybe I’ll put together some retrospective journals of the Messor and Camponotus species.

• RushmoreAnts likes this

Camponotus cruentatus (2022), fedtschenkoi (2022), fedtschenkoi Dark morph (2023), foreli (2022), maculatus (2022), micans (2022)

Lasius flavus

Messor barbarus Bicolour (2014), barbarus Red Head (2018), capitatus (2010), wasmanni (2014)
Pogonomyrmex badius (2024), barbatus (2024), californicus bicolor (2024), californicus concolor (2024), rugosus (2024)

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 12 2024 - 4:47 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,751 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome to FC!
  • cooIboyJ and Pogonomatt like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Stubyvast - Posted August 12 2024 - 4:53 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Thanks for the welcome! My founding colonies this year are all Pogonomyrmex (so far) which I guess a lot of people on the forum are familiar with. Maybe I’ll put together some retrospective journals of the Messor and Camponotus species.

yah I'd be curious to see how these colonies have progressed...especially since you've had a bunch of them for quite a while. Always interesting stories!

• Artisan_Ants and Pogonomatt like this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users