• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

MOLD CONTROL

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 16 2024 - 2:05 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Hey guys! So one of my myrmica rubra queen set ups has developed a decently large mold issue. The mold hasn't spread to the water, but has simply collected around the cotton of the test tube. The queens inside it are completely nonchalant, and seem not to care. I gave them another test-tube to migrate to, but they don't seem interested in moving out. The mold hasn't spread.

In my single queen set-up (another one), the queen simply dumped some soil on top of a little bit of mold, and the mold mysteriously went away, and is not a problem for her. I assume some bacteria ate it all up.

So should I be worried for the multi-queen set-up? Or should I just leave it be and wait for the first workers to arrive? If you want some pics just let me know.

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 16 2024 - 4:02 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationIndiana
I always get mold in Myrmica test tubes. I usually just let them get their workers and move them immediately into an actual nest/outworld setup.

#3 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 17 2024 - 8:15 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Oh ok great! I'll see about doing that. Thanks for your help!

Currently raising: 

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#4 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted July 7 2024 - 1:13 PM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCommerce Township, Michigan

Hey guys! So one of my myrmica rubra queen set ups has developed a decently large mold issue. The mold hasn't spread to the water, but has simply collected around the cotton of the test tube. The queens inside it are completely nonchalant, and seem not to care. I gave them another test-tube to migrate to, but they don't seem interested in moving out. The mold hasn't spread.
In my single queen set-up (another one), the queen simply dumped some soil on top of a little bit of mold, and the mold mysteriously went away, and is not a problem for her. I assume some bacteria ate it all up.
So should I be worried for the multi-queen set-up? Or should I just leave it be and wait for the first workers to arrive? If you want some pics just let me know.

Bit late but generally you move ants from any bad situation first through some kind of encouragement or reason, and then through force. If you don’t want to force them, stress the ants in the original tube, but make it a safer spot. Adding light, shaking the original tube, stop heating the original tube, etc. You could also dump them out too. If I may ask, do you add substrate or use sugar water? Those can be common mold causes. Usually I get mold after almost a year with good condition.
  • Stubyvast likes this

#5 Offline Stubyvast - Posted July 7 2024 - 2:15 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Okay yes so I did end up moving them to a new test-tube, simply by annoying them a bit, and shining a light on them. That night they took everything and moved. And thank goodness I did that, because a few days later my single-queen colony, whose mold mysteriously disappeared, was found limping, and the next day dead as a doornail. Welp, dodged that bullet! 

Bit late but generally you move ants from any bad situation first through some kind of encouragement or reason, and then through force. If you don’t want to force them, stress the ants in the original tube, but make it a safer spot. Adding light, shaking the original tube, stop heating the original tube, etc. You could also dump them out too. If I may ask, do you add substrate or use sugar water? Those can be common mold causes. Usually I get mold after almost a year with good condition.

Yes thank you for the info, I did use substrate in the form of potting soil, a very thin layer. I learned my lesson for that! Do not use substrate for founding colonies, especially moisture-loving species. Thanks!

Currently raising: 

#6 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted July 7 2024 - 2:16 PM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCommerce Township, Michigan

Okay yes so I did end up moving them to a new test-tube, simply by annoying them a bit, and shining a light on them. That night they took everything and moved. And thank goodness I did that, because a few days later my single-queen colony, whose mold mysteriously disappeared, was found limping, and the next day dead as a doornail. Welp, dodged that bullet!

Yes thank you for the info, I did use substrate in the form of potting soil, a very thin layer. I learned my lesson for that! Do not use substrate for founding colonies, especially moisture-loving species. Thanks!
It’s fine if you use substrate, as long as it is thoroughly sterilized. Some species do need substrate.
  • Mushu likes this

#7 Offline Stubyvast - Posted July 7 2024 - 2:34 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Ah okay that's good to know. I did find this potting soil in an old bag in my backyard...so I think that's why haha

Currently raising: 

#8 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted July 18 2024 - 3:52 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
Boil your soil to prevent parasites, mold, and other pathogens.
  • Artisan_Ants likes this

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users