• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How often should I feed my young ant colony?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline evanmancini2011 - Posted July 11 2024 - 8:15 AM

evanmancini2011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationParker Colorado

I have a young Pavement ant colony with 1-2 workers, I just fed the ant colony honey yesterday and they happily ate the honey. But how often should I feed this colony and should I give them proteins and sweets at the same time or alternate between the two foods and if I just fed the colony honey yesterday  should I give them proteins today?

Thank you for your time! 

Evan

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted July 11 2024 - 9:01 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
For every single colony I keep (besides specialty species such as Acromyrmex) I like to give them an unlimited source of carbohydrates (ie. honey, sugar water) and I offer likely more protein then what they will take however that shows the colony that there is a surplus of food thus triggering more brood growth.
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline Stubyvast - Posted July 11 2024 - 4:33 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yep basically I feed them sugar-water as much as they'll take, and then feed them protein when they become especially interested in their outworld, foraging, etc. You can also tell that they really need protein when the brood's stomachs aren't dark. Then you really have to feed them. Sometimes to test it, I drop some fish flakes inside, and if they seem interested, I then dump in a mealworm, which they happily accept!

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#4 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted July 12 2024 - 4:04 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
I would consistently feed a good source of carbohydrates and proteins. Good carbohydrates would preferably be honey but sugar water also works as another alternative as already mentioned above. A good protein source includes that of mealworms and dubia roaches (I use these to feed my ants but since ants are omnivorous and can eat anything you can basically feed them whatever protein or sugar source you want). I would on an average feed them once or twice a week with honey or sugar water on the 1st week and protein on the 2nd week. Although really, It is truly just up to you on when you want to feed them but make sure to switch back and forth on both carbohydrates and protein. Before feeding them though, consider checking the queen and workers gaster’s/abdomens to see if they are filled with any of the food you are giving them. This shows if they are actually liking what you are giving them because some species are picky when it comes to eating especially as young colonies (you’re lucky that it’s not Tetramorium as they are more omnivorous then that of species like carpenter ants in my area at least). Along with this but it also shows you when to feed them and I usually just follow feeding like this (seeing if the workers gaster’s are filled or not filled) instead of making fixed feeding times since it is easier to do this way. All you have to do is this: If the ants gaster’s are full, wait a few weeks (wait till their gasters are not filled) and then feed them either carbohydrates or protein depending on what they ate last. If they are not full then feed them on that day or the following. Whatever you do just make sure you are consistently feeding both proteins and carbohydrates to your colonies to ensure they receive proper health and care. Good luck!
  • rptraut likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 12 2024 - 4:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Keep it simple. Here’s what I do for young Tetramorium colonies: cut a square of paper towel and soak it with a drop or two of sugar water. Cut a small piece of a mealworm or cricket and place it on the paper towel square. Repeat this every three days or so by removing the old square and putting in a new one. Make an outworld ASAP to make feeding easier and less stressful for everyone.
  • rptraut and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Mushu - Posted July 15 2024 - 3:58 AM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

I personally always keep a liquid feeder with clear humming bird nectar dyed with Watkins Assorted Food Coloring that lasts about a week(or more) and water with a 5 ML that lasts about 1-2 weeks depending on weather.

Proteins depends on how much I feed but every other day just about and have no problems skipping 2 or 3 days for species with social stomachs.  

Edited by Mushu, July 15 2024 - 3:59 AM.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#7 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted July 18 2024 - 3:55 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
It’s a small colony, so an alternation is better. 1 - 2 workers isn’t enough to conduct foraging operations on multiple fronts. How come they only have 1 - 2 workers though?

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, July 18 2024 - 5:37 AM.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users