• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Some cool Vivariums/Outworlds

outworld vivarium plants

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Stubyvast - Posted July 1 2024 - 8:39 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Being very proud of these creations, I have a few things to share with y'all! I love building Vivariums, as they are almost completely self-sufficient, needing only water and the occasional leaf litter, and they take nature and put a bit of it in a glass container (which I gotta say, is surprisingly satisfying). If anyone else has some cool outworlds/vivariums to show, please do! Lots to be inspired from. Here's the first one:

My 4th edition of this Vivarium (I never took pictures of the first few versions, sadly) I used to have a desert-like world in here, and before that a series of woodland worlds. This one has tons of Wood bugs inside, as well as aphids, which sadly are not the kind that ants farm, but the type that they hunt to eat. So no harm done I guess! Planning to eventually introduce a colony in here sometime, but unsure which type.

IMG_0239.jpeg

IMG_0241.jpeg

IMG_0243.jpeg

My latest Vivarium, which I've called Gnome Island. This one's specifically designed for my Lasius Niger colony to enter through a small port among the wood bits through a bit of vinyl tubing. Planning to introduce plenty of soil creatures here at some point (and line the edges with some vaseline, of course).

IMG_0340.jpeg

IMG_0336.jpeg

IMG_0338.jpeg

IMG_0339.jpeg

Sorry about the bad visual quality here, I don't have a very good phone to take pictures with...hoping to get a better camera someday!

• UtahAnts, Ernteameise and Voidley like this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 1 2024 - 9:59 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Fast growing ant colonies have a knack for trashing nice vivariums.
  • Stubyvast and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted July 1 2024 - 12:09 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Very cool! You might want to decrease the level of soil in the outworld though, the ants might nest in it.

• Stubyvast and cooIboyJ like this

#4 Offline Stubyvast - Posted July 1 2024 - 2:11 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

True for both! To ANtdrew I'd say definitely true, although to remediate at least a bit of that I put some soil creatures inside to help break down some of the debris, although inevitably you are right. For IdioticMouse, I did make sure not to include so much soil, for exactly that reason (this being in the second outworld). I instead layered pretty much the first inch and a half with rocks, and then a tiny 1/4 inch with soil. Hope that'll work anyways! Plus the conditions in the outworld are likely too moist for permanent residency. As for the first one, you are definitely right and I should probably do something about that, or somehow make it into a formicarium.

I intend to let these outworlds sit for a bit while the plants and soil creatures hit that nice balance, before introducing ants/predators. 

• The_Gaming-gate likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: outworld, vivarium, plants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users