• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Where are good places to go anting?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline evanmancini2011 - Posted August 18 2024 - 3:30 PM

evanmancini2011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationParker Colorado

I live in Colorado and was wondering where are good places to look for queen ants? 

Thank you for your time!

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted August 18 2024 - 4:42 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts

This time of the year, your options are limited. Your best bet would be finding Lasius sp. The best place to find those are hot afternoons in pools and lakes where the queens crash landed. During this time of year i go to my local lake and usually have quite a but of luck finding queens on the surface.  The flights around here last about two hours, so you have a quite a bit of time to find and save them from drowning.   Any other time of the year, you would look in different places for different species. Camponotus sp. tend to be attracted to wooden structures during nuptial flights. I find them crawling on the side of lodges and wood piles at night.

#3 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted August 18 2024 - 7:50 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Usually, ants have nuptial flight after heavy rain when the ground is soft to dig. But like T.C. mentioned, it is nearly the end of nuptial flight season for most ants. But don't give up, you can sometimes find queens around till early september.

#4 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 18 2024 - 9:57 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Usually, ants have nuptial flight after heavy rain when the ground is soft to dig. But like T.C. mentioned, it is nearly the end of nuptial flight season for most ants. But don't give up, you can sometimes find queens around till early september.

that doesnt mean they won't fly, it just won't be a big mass flight, the first flight is always the biggest one.

in fact, alot of times, some alates don't even fly and they just go back inside and wait til a better day, so there's always a chance.  

it helps if the area has gone at least a week or two without rain, and is hot.  then a storm incoming should make everything stage for flight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users