• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2024 Arizona monsoon anting

monsoon arizona anting camponotus myrmecocystus novomessor crematogaster

22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted June 27 2024 - 7:36 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

I had recently moved to Arizona, and I'm totally enjoying it. I used to have to travel 6 hours for this!

On the 24th, the monsoon began to form, thanks to a one-two punch of tropical storms hitting mexico, and a strong High to the east pulling moisture in.

On the first night (24th), A heavy soaking rain had resulted in a sharp cooldown, triggering a widespread camponotus ocreatus flight that lasted all night long. 

I collected around 14 ocreatus queens, and spotted tons of fragilis running around:

MpalZUo.png

3WzRAfC.png

I had collected four unusual queens that appear to be vafer, though I'm unsure:

pMdCHnI.png

FRqwCEt.png

I had hiked in further and found a pair of Myrmecocystus queens that were huddling together. 

I am unsure of species, though behavior seems to indicate these are mimicus, which are apparently known for pairing up like that. though i could be wrong:

32TWf1E.png

I then decided to return home, and fired up the light sheet to see what this sudden surge of heat and moisture brought out- diversity had increased significantly:

My light is a simple clip-on light with a hood, i used an extender socket and three Y-sockets so i could use four 100-volt 6500k CFLs:

feXUryI.png

Numerous crematogaster sp were attracted immediately, along with a ton of male ocreatus (not pictured, sorry) and novomessor albisetosus queens, along with a surprise random Zootermopsis:

KOKhVy6.png

sKKjwAa.png

dkXUv5O.png

Other notable stuff:

JxKI9aM.png

dnrS36k.png

YQ2NZhE.png

gdepU6B.png

FGghc8C.png

Q0gMhUv.png

zHqeHMD.png

June 26th-  Decided to check out a rest area and found alot of potential Camponotus trepidulus and definite festinatus queens.

they were easily identified by their larger size alone- squatches and frags don't get this big, though examining the clypeus and finding an obvious medial carina confirmed it to be festinatus:

b1ihLaS.png

oX9raXt.png

One thing that blew me away was the sheer number of kissing bugs and other assassins here, mostly rubida but recurva, a much larger species, was quite common. 
this species is interesting in that they do not require a blood meal and and be reared entirely on roach lymph and are communal by nature:

5BB6BGn.png

An unknown species i still cannot identify yet and a beautiful Black Bee assassin (Apiomerus longispinus):

OzRPfXM.png

oHRhuCa.png

We'll see what else happens later in the week- it's supposed to be alot heavier.  Thanks for reading!

Edited by mbullock42086, June 27 2024 - 10:04 PM.

• dspdrew, James C. Trager, Ants_Dakota and 6 others like this

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 27 2024 - 8:44 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Few notes on the identifications: None of those Camponotus festinatus-group gynes are Camponotus absquatulator (head margin hairs blatantly visible) -- it would also be highly unlikely to find them in AZ unless you restricted yourself to the Southwestern corner of the Yuma region. The suspected Camponotus vafer seems more likely to be one of the undescribed species. The Myrmecocystus is indeed M. mimicus. The Novomessor gyne in the picture is actually N. albisetosus. The Camponotus mina could be C. trepidulus

• James C. Trager, mbullock42086, bmb1bee and 1 other like this

#3 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted June 27 2024 - 9:57 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Few notes on the identifications: None of those Camponotus festinatus-group gynes are Camponotus absquatulator (head margin hairs blatantly visible) -- it would also be highly unlikely to find them in AZ unless you restricted yourself to the Southwestern corner of the Yuma region. The suspected Camponotus vafer seems more likely to be one of the undescribed species. The Myrmecocystus is indeed M. mimicus. The Novomessor gyne in the picture is actually N. albisetosus. The Camponotus mina could be C. trepidulus

much appreciated.  i will update this accordingly.  

#4 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 27 2024 - 11:53 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • LocationCalif.

they were easily identified by their larger size alone- squatches and frags don't get this big, though examining the clypeus and finding an obvious medial carina confirmed it to be festinatus:  

It's a big misconception that size is a reliable identification factor for these species. People, especially here ("The shocking truth about Camponotus fragilis"), have spread the false notion that C. absquatulator gynes can't reach fairly large in size, which is far from the truth - a gyne collected from Yuma, AZ, measured 13 mm. The use of size when it comes to C. absquatulatorC. festinatus, and C. fragilis is daft considering all three species overlap somewhat significantly in size. Queens from a single locale can vary enough in size to not reliably ID them against themselves based solely on size.

• mbullock42086 and GOCAMPONOTUS like this

#5 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted June 28 2024 - 1:21 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

It's a big misconception that size is a reliable identification factor for these species. People, especially here ("The shocking truth about Camponotus fragilis"), have spread the false notion that C. absquatulator gynes can't reach fairly large in size, which is far from the truth - a gyne collected from Yuma, AZ, measured 13 mm. The use of size when it comes to C. absquatulatorC. festinatus, and C. fragilis is daft considering all three species overlap somewhat significantly in size. Queens from a single locale can vary enough in size to not reliably ID them against themselves based solely on size.

I swear i had read that festinatus was the largest one in antwiki, but regardless, i'll take your word for it.  Look forward to more of my misidentifications in the future, this isn't my element :P

seriously though thanks for the info.

#6 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted June 30 2024 - 7:25 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

6/29

Back at the light sheet, some interesting stuff came this time.

UB0xMFw.png

A high pressure system moved through the past day, triggering a good flight of what i presume to be S. amblychila:

nwThmaY.png

MlWbBQB.png

Crematogaster were far more abundant, these appear to be three separate species-

Shiny, large and jet-black, with black wing venation:

DlTRVUx.png

Shiny, large and a deep brown, brown wing venation:

fWMoK9i.png

Small and brown, around 6-7mm or so in body length:

5u6sKns.png

A beautiful camponotus, which I presume to be C. sayi also made an appearance:

Hkjr9f9.png

0rRyDjh.png

A random isolated formica came to the sheet, I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say... F. perpilosa?:

3D7LzSK.png

I believe these are Pheidole hyatti, with a single specimen of what looks like P. xerophila to me:

GzYPTOp.png

Ax4g1ai.png

I'm probably wrong, but xerophila was the closest looking one i could find to it.

Lastly a couple of what i assume are Tapinoma sessile.  there's a pretty big colony of them here:

olZfMoh.png

And to close, a large and beautiful Glenurus ludiger, a species of picture-winged antlion:

1c71FPV.png

The monsoon is still going strong, a haboob forced me to take the sheet down and pack it up.  

A waning crescent moon and more storms should make the light sheet very interesting for the next week or so.

• dspdrew, Ernteameise and Izzy like this

#7 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 30 2024 - 7:35 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • LocationCalif.

The "Formica" is Dorymyrmex bicolor, The "Pheidole hyatti" is likely Pheidole spadonia, the "P. xerophila" is P. cerebrosior, and the "Tapinoma sessile" is Dorymyrmex "insanus." Nice find on the Camponotus sayi, they're a nice species to keep - super thermophilic and have no qualms about having a completely dry nest.

• mbullock42086 likes this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 1 2024 - 2:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That is one heck of a haul! Amazing light setup, too.

Edited by ANTdrew, July 1 2024 - 2:31 AM.

• mbullock42086, Ants_Dakota and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 1 2024 - 8:40 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Looks like that orange Pheidole toward the end could be P. spadonia

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#10 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 4 2024 - 5:44 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

7/1/24:

9pj8CKt.png

Fired up the light sheet for a couple of hours before a really strong thunderstorm outflow forced me to take the sheet down for the night

the wind simply didn't let up til way late. I still got a few things but the wind constantly moving the sheet made it very hard to pick out single ants from thousands of moving small insects.

Far more Pheidole cerebrosior, dorymyrmex bicolor this time, with some kind of pretty little solenopsis that was far less numerous than the amblychila.  

An unknown Pheidole sp appeared- larger than spadonia, and a darker red more like a pogonomyrmex rugosus.

Unknown pheidole:

QFExPcK.png

P. cerebrosior:

XGP1Z9Y.png

P. spadonia:

QKc96rW.png

D bicolor:

8QeuzV2.png

unknown solenopsis:

fJz1xoq.png

7/3/24:

The deep moisture has moved back east- the storms have become far more isolated but more intense. 

CjNdfMq.png

qG3SIIS.png

The sheet mostly attracted crematogaster, ant-wise, and numerous male Odontomachus desertorum:

d4kDpiI.png

I wasnt seeing female desertorum anywhere, then realized i should be looking around in the dark corners of the yard and BINGO:

HBTWK6Z.png

Whilst looking for more trapjaws a nice C. sayi smacked me in the forehead and said hi:

ySNB5yX.png

I also found a wandering ocreatus queen (not pictured)  

non-ant stuff that came:

Ijodjsf.png

QvdX5HW.png

fPZghl0.png

FdrKlsz.png

vmkKsc8.png

my3MrVy.png

I also found a wandering ocreatus queen (not pictured)  

We'll see if I can get more odontomachus tonight.. thanks for reading!

Edited by mbullock42086, July 5 2024 - 2:34 AM.

• dspdrew, gcsnelling and bmb1bee like this

#11 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 22 2024 - 6:42 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

7/5-7/22

Was able to catch a bunch of odontomachus desertorum, they appear to be triggered by a hot dry wind as i always found them on windy evenings.  

I collected males for all of them so they could possibly breed. Note the mites on the alate this specimen died the day after.

odontomachus desertorum

odontomachus desertorum
  Solenopsis krockowi

a few solenopsis krockowi appeared:

Solenopsis krockowi

More camponotus sayi have appeared, I'm up to around 9 or so now.  

Camponotus sayi

Was able to identify these unusual festinatus sp-  they're C puderosus, and i apparently have both the dark and light forms.
  They are mostly confined to mexico and central america but a small portion of their rang pokes into arizona. they keep flying and appear to be rain-triggered like fragilis and absquatulator.

Camponotus puderosus

the REAL Formica perpilosa-  because these guys tend to be diurnal fliers i never see them at my lights.  i decided to flip stones nearby and found her:

Formica perpilosa

Two more colobopsis papago have made an appearance, only one pictured:

Colobopsis papago

And what i think is forelius pruinosus? Not sure- very small:

forelius pruinosus?

Pretty much everything flew by now, so any other flights will be callows that didn't fly last time or places that didn't get enough rain to trigger a flight.

Edited by mbullock42086, August 24 2024 - 3:57 PM.

• Full_Frontal_Yeti likes this

#12 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 22 2024 - 7:33 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • LocationCalif.

It's not Colobopsis papago, but it is some sort of Camponotini.

#13 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 22 2024 - 10:32 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

20240718_023654.png

there's a head shot.  

#14 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 23 2024 - 4:19 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Ah okay, thank you. The first image made it look almost like it had a head shape akin to a minor worker of Colobopsis, haha.

#15 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 15 2024 - 6:28 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Its been pretty slow, really.  the constant monsoon barrage has rained everything out for weeks at a time- it only now is finally weakening, allowing better daytime heating.

When the monsoon was at its strongest we rarely got a sunny day, causing a major drop in flights- a few here and there, the diversity NON-ant-wise was pretty nice, with some rare insects visiting.

these finds are from late july til now.

While out collecting plants for my lepidotpera a random foraging Myrmecocystus mimicus ran in front of me:

M mimicus

I returned home and nothing really special.  a few isolated pheidole, a dorymyrmex here and there..  

The next night was a pretty unusual one-  I decided to talk an evening walk- but decided to turn my light sheet on DURING THE DAYTIME. to see what crepuscular stuff appears upon my return:

M mexicanus

Two myrmecocystus mexicanus came to my light!  that was pretty cool lol.  

I was pretty amped up, seeing that told me leafcutters might fly too..  so i stayed up ALLLL night long looking for staging alates and saw a female alate pop out then dart back in, telling me they were staging..

Lo and behold, staying up paid off.  A decent female-heavy Acromyrmex versicolor flight happened right before my eyes.  Unusually though, these guys didn't do it in the correct order.  At sunrise it was females mostly.  males were not abundant enough to cause the famous egg-shaped clouds, but they all decided to mate right above a white car and hanging around someone else's car in AZ is a BIG TIME nono so it felt weird hanging around it.  to make matters worse a homeless woman appeared and started asking questions about the houses, indicating she was a squatter and may be the arsonist that burnt down two homes here earlier in the year, making me VERY reluctant to even be seen near her out of fear i would be considered an accomplice...

ANYWAY   It was a decent isolated mating swarm, and i was able to collect 14 females and a bunch of males:

acromyrmex versicolor
acromyrmex versicolor 2

It was so satisfying to finally find a good mating swarm.  i live in the region with polygynous versicolor, so paired the females up  2 per container.   

Edited by mbullock42086, August 15 2024 - 4:18 PM.

• ANTdrew, Demoant and Izzy like this

#16 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 18 2024 - 2:28 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

tonight was the night for dorymyrmex.

bicolor, insanus, and what appears to be smithi:

20240818_011253.png

Pheidole cerebrosior and spadonia flew, forelius also made an appearance.

Bicolor- 3
  insanus- 1
  smithi- 10
  Spadonia- 5
  Cerebrosior- 2
  forelius- 2

#17 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 18 2024 - 6:14 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

attachicon.gif20240718_023654.png

there's a head shot.  

Have you considered C. ulcerosus?

• ReignofRage likes this

#18 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 18 2024 - 11:57 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

attachicon.gif20240718_023654.png

there's a head shot.  

Have you considered C. ulcerosus?

Definitely not ulcerosus- queens of those have a more normal-looking Camponotus face.  This is definitely colobopsis papago, she's only happy inside a straw that i have repurposed to use like a miniature test tube 

you just saw from a weird angle that obscured her cork-head alot lol

#19 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 18 2024 - 1:14 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Sounds good,

• ReignofRage likes this

#20 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 24 2024 - 9:21 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

A truly epic morning following an intense bout of severe thunderstorms- one storm just sat above dumping rain for most of the afternoon.

i noticed it was alot cooler than usual, last night, and this told me a good acromyrmex flight would occur in the morning, so i set the alarm for 5:30am..
  Woke up and stepped out, and found a huge flight was occurring- i was able to see the males and females staging separately, with thousands of females emerging and flying off.
  As the sun began to peak over the mountain, obscured by clouds, the males began to form dense swarm clusters, making them easily spotted from a distance.

heres a video of one of the swarms:

https://www.formicul...nuptial-flight/

so many of these guys were raining down that it sounded like actual rainfall- at one a mating swarm formed directly on me, showering me with mating clusters of alates.

I havent even counted all of them, yet. lol  I know i got over 100 though.

acromyrmex versicolor
mating acromyrmex versicolor
acromyrmex versicolor collection results

What a morning!  

Edited by mbullock42086, August 24 2024 - 9:31 AM.

• B_rad0806, Nare, bmb1bee and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: monsoon, arizona, anting, camponotus, myrmecocystus, novomessor, crematogaster

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users