• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex maricopa

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SegaGenitals - Posted June 29 2024 - 12:35 AM

SegaGenitals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Does anybody know if these queens are semi or fully claustral? I keep running into conflicting data online.

#2 Offline kiedeerk - Posted June 29 2024 - 2:18 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Majority of pogonomyrmex are fully claustral. Most people still put some seeds in their test tube set up but probably not needed

#3 Offline SegaGenitals - Posted June 29 2024 - 10:50 AM

SegaGenitals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Thank you.  Does it matter what seeds? I usually try to give them a tiny dab of honey on parchment paper every week or so.  

#4 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 29 2024 - 10:56 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationCalif.

It turns out that most North American Pogonomyrmex are actually facultative foragers and the only truly claustral species is P. badius. With that said, almost every single P. californicus-group species is an obligate forager, so you should give some seeds. Just don't give a ton of seeds to prevent the queen from making a mess of them. Kentucky Blue Grass seed works great for granivorous species, but plenty of other seeds will work.

• mbullock42086, Somethinghmm, SleepyAsianAnter and 1 other like this

#5 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted June 30 2024 - 3:34 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

i have maricopa in my yard and they do indeed forage.  

#6 Offline SegaGenitals - Posted June 30 2024 - 5:15 PM

SegaGenitals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Alright I'll get them some food tonight.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users