• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Red-head black body small queen ID?

formica queen id

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 5 2024 - 4:24 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Hello everyone! I need help identifying this queen. She looks similar in shape to a Formica Pacifica worker, but slightly larger, and different colouring. Any idea what she is? Is she parasitic or semi-claustral? Any help would be great. Caught on a windy-ish mild weather day, no other queens in sight, in BC Canada. Definitely has wing scars, and large gaster.

According to my phone's suggestions, looks like Formica Obscuripes. If so, how do I introduce other formica species? I have a big colony of them outside that I can easily collect workers from, but not young ones, unless I dig up the nest. They are Formica Pacifica, and apparently a target species for F. Obscuripes. PLEASE HELP

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

Edited by Stubyvast, June 5 2024 - 4:41 PM.

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra

Camponotus Modoc

Lasius Niger

"In many environments, take away the ants and there would be partial collapses in many of the land ecosystems."

- E. O. Wilson

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 5 2024 - 4:43 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Definitely Formica Obscuripes. As for introducing workers, You’ll need some callows (newly eclosed) ones which are easy to spot as they are completely pale in color. The best way to find these is by either flipping rocks or taking a scoop off of the surface of a mound, as formica generally keep their callows right at the top of the nest.

As for host species, any formica should work, though if you have access to F. obscuripes workers you can try giving her fully hardened adult ones, as obscuripes queens will sometimes rejoin a colony of their own species after mating. However, i would only do this as a last resort if you cannot get callows as its not guaranteed to work and they are an extremely aggressive species.

#3 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 5 2024 - 5:52 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Okay thanks! I do have an f. Pacifica that might work, although their colonies are mostly under some concrete. I'll see what I can do though! Thanks for the help. 

In case I can't access any callow workers, can I introduce full-grown ones to the queen using the refrigeration method or netting method? I assume you know about those.

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra

Camponotus Modoc

Lasius Niger

"In many environments, take away the ants and there would be partial collapses in many of the land ecosystems."

- E. O. Wilson

#4 Offline EdmontonAntKeeper - Posted June 26 2024 - 8:17 PM

EdmontonAntKeeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationEdmonton AB

f. Pacifica is one of their host species.  I would try giving her f. Pacifica pupae first if you can.

• Stubyvast likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica, queen, id

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users