• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moving honeypots

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mende - Posted June 14 2024 - 12:44 PM

Mende

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi,
Now that my Myrmecocystus cf. kennedyi queen got their nanitics and soon her first set of '' normal '' workers, it's time to think about where I will house them.
I have DIY nests that are quite similar to THA's '' mini hearths '' , is it still too soon to move them to a nest like that? If yes, by how many workers should I move them to a nest like that?

They have around 10 workers right now*

pottie-1019514.jpg

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 14 2024 - 12:52 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I always moved mine when it became hard to feed in a test tube, which was somewhere around 15-25 workers depending on the species. Ten workers should be fine to move into a formicarium if you have one ready.

• B_rad0806 likes this

#3 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted June 14 2024 - 3:04 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

How about connect the tube to the the new nest and let the ants move on their own?

Kinda let them decide to see:

1. If the new area is safe like if they sense anything is 'off' with the new nest

2. Gives them a chance to move naturally all on their own

3. I had a third point but I forgot %)

I probably wouldn't push it unless there's mold in the test tube or it gets insanely crowded. The test tube or wherever you're keeping them.

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#4 Offline Mushu - Posted June 14 2024 - 5:42 PM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

I moved my Myrmecocystus placodops 01 at about 10 workers, unplanned but they should be fine. I made sure I washed the THA mini hearth and let it air out before I did so. 

Reason I moved them is, the queen was fairly large for the test tube and they crowded at the pva sponge where the moisture was. I saw the queen in an uncompromising position kinda twisted and head sideways against the top of the test tube glass(was in a tubs and tubes setup doing fine otherwise) the workers crowding her. While I know ants do clump together, they are still insects and may not adjust until something permanent happens. 

I wet the chamber a bit and heated beforehand to make it more enticing. I just dumped them into the outworld, took them all of 5 minutes to move into the chamber. One worker went down and a few minutes later went up and dragged the queen by the antennae. 

The change in environment did cause a few of the next set of cocoons to fail eclosing, but that was more my setup issue(humidity) as I was playing around with how I wanted to heat the mini hearth(on the front glass) to prevent condensation. They're doing fine and have a good cycle going.

To clarify, my humidity was probably not ideal. I suspected it was due to how I created a false floor that had gaps where the mini hearth sits, and the mini hearth bottom is not painted, which means air can escape. Ever since I filled up the gaps, I've not seen any further issues. Note this is what I believe is the cause as they were doing great in the tubs and tubes.

Edited by Mushu, June 14 2024 - 5:47 PM.

#5 Offline Mende - Posted June 15 2024 - 12:12 AM

Mende

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Okey, based on what you guys do, I'll wait until they have a little bit more workers until I move them to the nest. Thanks for the quick reply!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users