• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What type of ants are these can you tell?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline speanut - Posted June 17 2024 - 4:49 PM

speanut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Can anyone tell me what kind of ants these are? Also is that a queen near the top? And I am assuming those are eggs?
Any info would be helpful. My son wants to try catching them and creating a large aquarium for them.

Thanks

view?usp=sharing

#2 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 17 2024 - 5:21 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Camponotus Modoc for sure! It's hard to tell from the distance of this photo, but possibly yes, the large one is a queen. I would suggest capturing as much as you can, and bring the brood too, but be very careful handling them, they are super delicate. Those are Pupae, cocooned to protect themselves while they finish developing. They will hatch into workers pretty soon. An aquarium set-up is probably not ideal for this species, unless they have some old wood to dig into. However, a test-tube set up could work for starters, until the colony is too large. If your son wants to try it out, good luck to him! Ant keeping is a lot of fun. lots of good advice on this forum!

I would suggest, however, that he starts by catching a single, mated queen after her nuptial flight. That way you can watch all the stages of an ant colony's growth, from just a few workers to thousands! 

Good luck!

• speanut likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius neoniger (3 single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Formica pacifica (Queen)

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#3 Offline speanut - Posted June 17 2024 - 6:08 PM

speanut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you very much for the information. I think for now we'll leave them be and just keep an eye on them until we find out more information. I've been going through posts on here and you are right there are so many helpful posts. Thanks again

Camponotus Modoc for sure! It's hard to tell from the distance of this photo, but possibly yes, the large one is a queen. I would suggest capturing as much as you can, and bring the brood too, but be very careful handling them, they are super delicate. Those are Pupae, cocooned to protect themselves while they finish developing. They will hatch into workers pretty soon. An aquarium set-up is probably not ideal for this species, unless they have some old wood to dig into. However, a test-tube set up could work for starters, until the colony is too large. If your son wants to try it out, good luck to him! Ant keeping is a lot of fun. lots of good advice on this forum!

I would suggest, however, that he starts by catching a single, mated queen after her nuptial flight. That way you can watch all the stages of an ant colony's growth, from just a few workers to thousands! 

Good luck!

• Stubyvast likes this

#4 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted June 17 2024 - 6:45 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I agree on modoc  exept  for the legs.and like stubyvast said get as much brood and workers as you can. But it does seem to be a big colony so i would make a tub and tubes set up with lots of-test tubes.

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, June 18 2024 - 8:17 AM.

• speanut likes this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#5 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 18 2024 - 8:09 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationCalif.

What's the locale of the ants? The legs look rather black to be C. modoc.

Let's gloss over GOCAMPONOTUS editing his post to include "exept  for the legs" after I posted this.

Edited by ReignofRage, June 18 2024 - 5:45 PM.

#6 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 18 2024 - 4:48 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Hmm yes I was thinking about that, seemed a bit odd...what other Camponotus has such dark legs? 

Currently raising: 

Myrmica rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius neoniger (3 single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Formica pacifica (Queen)

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#7 Offline speanut - Posted June 18 2024 - 5:16 PM

speanut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

What's the locale of the ants? The legs look rather black to be C. modoc.

Located in Ontario, Canada.

#8 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 18 2024 - 5:42 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationCalif.

That is most likely Camponotus pennsylvanicus, then.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#9 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted June 18 2024 - 5:44 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

i agree

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#10 Offline ZATrippit - Posted June 24 2024 - 10:01 PM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ
I'd give him the benefit of the doubt-- perhaps his wifi didn't let the edit go through until after you left that comment ;)

Let's gloss over GOCAMPONOTUS editing his post to include "exept for the legs" after I posted this.

FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#11 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 24 2024 - 10:28 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt-- perhaps his wifi didn't let the edit go through until after you left that comment ;)

He has done it more than once. It's more than a coincidence by this point, haha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users