• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Two Queens in need of ID- Wilmington, NC, US 06/15/2024

coastal nc id north carolina beach nuptial flight june

Best Answer ANTdrew , June 16 2024 - 2:03 AM

No, number one is not Brachyponera. It is a parasitic Lasius. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BahamianBoy - Posted June 15 2024 - 5:48 PM

BahamianBoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHampstead, NC

I caught two different species of queens this afternoon while walking on the beach shortly after a small T. immigrans flight. One I have tentatively identified and would like to have confirmed, the other I truly have no idea about.

Sorry in advance for poor photo quality.

Ant #1- Uknown

I have no clue as to her species, any help welcome.

1. Topsail Beach, North Carolina US
2. June 15, 2024
3. Just above the tideline of the beach, likely landed in the ocean and washed up on the shore
4. 10mm
5. Her body is a dark reddish brown and smooth/shiny without any noticeable hairs. Her legs, mandibles, and antennae however are a pale yellow color.
6. See photos
7. Very active in general, often tries to pull at the cotton at the end of test tube.

8. N/A

9. Between hours of 6am and 10pm on June 15, 2024 (assumed)

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

Ant #2- Possibly Pseudomyrmex pallidus
I believe this to be a Pseudomyrmex sp. , possibly pallidus since that makes sense for my area but I would like for someone with more knowledge to confirm that lol.

1. Topsail Beach, North Carolina US

2. June 15, 2024
3. Just above the tideline of the beach, likely landed in the ocean and washed up on the shore
4. 8mm
5. Her body is a orangish yellow color and smooth/shiny with no noticeable hairs
6. Her body is especially long and thin as well as semi flat. She has short antennae and large black Ovular eyes. See Photos.
7. She is very active with long spurts of movement and exploration followed by short rests
8. N/A

9. Between hours of 6am and 10pm on June 15, 2024 (assumed)

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

#2 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted June 15 2024 - 10:23 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Maybe Brachyponera sp. (likely chinensis) for Ant #1. A bit too big to be one though.

#3 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 15 2024 - 11:20 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • LocationCalif.

The first one is a Lasius species.

• BahamianBoy likes this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 16 2024 - 2:03 AM   Best Answer

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
No, number one is not Brachyponera. It is a parasitic Lasius.
  • BahamianBoy and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline BahamianBoy - Posted June 16 2024 - 2:37 AM

BahamianBoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHampstead, NC

Maybe Brachyponera sp. (likely chinensis) for Ant #1. A bit too big to be one though.

I have a small group of Brachyponera chinensis and they quite a bit smaller than this queen, around 7-8mm and very thin. Unless I ID'd them wrong 

#6 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted June 16 2024 - 12:50 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

No, number one is not Brachyponera. It is a parasitic Lasius.

That make so much more sense. I did consider it being Lasius but it was the legs that threw me off.

• BahamianBoy and cooIboyJ like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coastal nc, id, north carolina, beach, nuptial flight, june

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users