• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium Immigrans, journal of asd

tetramorium immigrans tetramorium immigrans pavement ants

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted June 14 2024 - 10:46 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal

6/14/24

I received these queens on monday, I bought these queens from bmb1ee. Each of these 5 queens arrived in perfect condition, they all had a huge amount of eggs with some small larvae. (thanks bmb)

I’m kind of scared to keep these though, since I heard that they get to devastating numbers..

upon arrival, I fed each of these queens a drop of hummingbird nectar. They drank it, but they were very hesitant at first  :facepalm:

The larvae have grown much more during these 4 days that I have kept them, can’t wait for their nanitics! 

Each queen has more developed larvae then the queen pictured (I took a picture of the queen that had the least amount of larvae and eggs, as to not stress the more successful ones.)

Attached Images

• IMG_6594.jpeg
  • IMG_6595.jpeg

• bmb1bee and Stubyvast like this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some other lasius types in the future.
You should also subscribe to my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/@AsdAnts

#2 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 16 2024 - 2:08 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yah I've raised these colonies before. They grow super fast! Workers take about two weeks to fully develop, but their nanitics are Sooo small. But yes, they do grow pretty fast. However, they're small enough that a pretty decent sized formicarium will hold them easily for a year or maybe even two. And another awesome thing about this species is that they can eat pretty much anything. They're generalists, so you can even feed them your leftovers from dinner if you really want to. 

Enjoy keeping them! They're a fun species to try out.

• AsdinAnts likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#3 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted June 18 2024 - 3:08 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
thanks!
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
You should also subscribe to my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/@AsdAnts

#4 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted June 25 2024 - 3:31 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
They all got pupae a week back, and now the pupae are starting to gain color.
One is really starting to get dark, so hopefully it encloses soon !
  • GOCAMPONOTUS likes this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#5 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted June 25 2024 - 3:40 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Yours are growing faster than mine, they still have larvae. keep it up! :yes:

• AsdinAnts likes this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#6 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted June 27 2024 - 9:08 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

The temperature in my room gets pretty cozy, so that’s probably why lol, also one of my queens got their first nanitics!
I checked in on them this morning, and I saw a very cute, very tiny little worker. I’ll take pictures once I get back home.

thank you!
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#7 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted June 27 2024 - 9:35 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Good job!

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

#8 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted July 8 2024 - 10:36 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

All of the queens have gotten their second stage of workers, they are all doing very nicely. I feed them regularly, and I also gave one of the colonies an outworld covered in sand to see what they would think of it.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#9 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted July 9 2024 - 3:39 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
Here are some pictures!

The first two pictures are of my best colony, and the last one is the slowest growing of them all.

Attached Images

• IMG_7144.jpeg
  • IMG_7145.jpeg
  • IMG_7146.jpeg

• Full_Frontal_Yeti and Ernteameise like this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#10 Offline Zzz - Posted July 15 2024 - 12:53 AM

Zzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Very cool!

#11 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted July 15 2024 - 12:32 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
yea, i fed each of them pogonomyrmex queens around a week ago, and their larvae looked very nice fat.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#12 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted July 24 2024 - 8:52 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
so, there are still 4 colonies left. All of them are doing pretty good.

In the picture it shows some of the brood, queen, and workers. When I was trying to take a picture of them, the workers scattered taking a lot of brood to a darker corner of their nest.

I decided to move them out of the test tube for better visibility, and because it was starting to lose most of its water.

I have been feeding these girls a lot, I fed each of the colonies a cricket, and they left holes in its body. That just goes to show how ravenous these ants are, even at a youngish stage like this colony. I’m thinking about moving the other colonies to tubs and tubes setups, it would be much more easier to feed them and so I won’t have escapees every time I open their test tube.

The queens has been pumping out a bunch of eggs, and they also have a tonne of larvae. You can see the protein inside of the larvae, its kind of gross but cute at the same time..

Attached Images

• IMG_7680.jpeg

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#13 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted July 24 2024 - 8:54 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Love it! my biggest colony hollowed out the cricket I gave them and put their brood in it. :facepalm:

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, July 24 2024 - 8:55 AM.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

1 M.ergatognya

#14 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted July 24 2024 - 9:58 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
that’s what they did to the cricket I gave them, lol
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#15 Offline NotAxo - Posted July 25 2024 - 8:24 AM

NotAxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationKerala, India
I have an even bigger problem. My C. Parius colony (12W) eats crickets twice the size of the queen every 2 days. Their giant pile of at least 24 eggs were hatched today. They moved the cricket completely into the test tube. It was a pile of dust, except the head and legs...

How am I supposed to clean that mess...

Edited by NotAxo, July 25 2024 - 8:27 AM.

Currently raising : C. Parius (2x), C. Vitiosus (2x), Carebara Diversa (1x), C. irratians (2x), M. brunnea (1x)

Have raised : Solenopsis

Enjoy anting, NotAxo :D

#16 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted July 25 2024 - 10:41 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

I have an even bigger problem. My C. Parius colony (12W) eats crickets twice the size of the queen every 2 days. Their giant pile of at least 24 eggs were hatched today. They moved the cricket completely into the test tube. It was a pile of dust, except the head and legs...

That’s pretty crazy for 12 workers. A pile of dust? I’ve fed mealworms to my C. chromaiodes colony (they are like 30 - 40 workers now) and they shredded it to an exoskeleton in like a day, but I’ve never heard of Camponotus being able just to create insects into dust. Your C. parius were either hungry or they are just naturally notorious lmao.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#17 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted July 25 2024 - 11:17 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I've only heard of that in solenopsis

• Artisan_Ants likes this

1 M.ergatognya

#18 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted July 26 2024 - 7:13 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Nice man, up here these invasive [censored] had the audacity to fly on the 4th of July. I got 5 colonies with pupae now. Good luck!

• eea and GOCAMPONOTUS like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium, immigrans, tetramorium immigrans, pavement ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users