• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is garage Queen rearing safe?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DEEDEEDEE - Posted June 13 2024 - 5:08 PM

DEEDEEDEE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I just caught 7 queens yesterday of Camp pennsylvanicus But I was wondering if I could keep them in a dark cardboard box in my garage until they get workers. is it safe enough or is it just not a risk to take.

#2 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 13 2024 - 5:33 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

It really depends. If you live in a warm climate, then you need to be sure that there's an even temperature throughout the nest. On the flip side, if you live in a colder climate, you need to keep it warmer. A garage does have the advantage that If your ants require hibernation, the natural temperature of the outdoors during winter will allow them to hibernate really easily. 

You also have to make sure there's no vibrations, such as car noises, drilling, or other things like that. This could disturb your colony and be quite counter productive. However, keeping them in the garage is a really great idea if you don't have space elsewhere (or are not allowed to keep them elsewhere, haha) and want them relatively undisturbed. So long as you keep the above things in mind, it should be good!

Edited by Stubyvast, June 13 2024 - 5:33 PM.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra

Camponotus Modoc

Camponotus Vicinus

Lasius Niger

"In many environments, take away the ants and there would be partial collapses in many of the land ecosystems."

- E. O. Wilson

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted June 14 2024 - 12:35 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts
I used to do it. I wouldn't if cars are going in and out regularly.
  • Artisan_Ants likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users