• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Backyard Ants

crematogaster cephalotes leafcutter antlion

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntidepressAnt - Posted June 14 2024 - 9:21 AM

AntidepressAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationFortaleza, Brazil

Some pics of cool ants around the house.

Leafcutters (not sure if Atta or Acromyrmex) attacking candle bush (Senna alata).

20240531-122226.jpg

20240531-122159.jpg

They formed a big trail that went over the wall, so I couldn't follow them to their nest, but here is the nest entrance of leafcutters living in my cousin's garden, which is fairly close.

20240601-163629.jpg

In this cashew tree, black Crematogaster workers were gathering around the rope of a swing. Cephalotes ants were very close, but the two species seemed indifferent to each other.

20240601-163533.jpg

20240601-163509.jpg

Not an ant, but still relevant, I believe this is an adult antlion. I don't know much about neuropterans though.

20240601-212220.jpg

Edited by AntidepressAnt, June 14 2024 - 9:22 AM.

• kalimant, ANTdrew, AsdinAnts and 1 other like this

#2 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted June 14 2024 - 9:45 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
Super jealous of you right now lol
You have cephalotes, crematogaster, and leafcutters near you? Amazing.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some other lasius types in the future.
You should also subscribe to my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/@AsdAnts

#3 Offline kalimant - Posted June 14 2024 - 10:06 AM

kalimant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Atta are larger usually, have 3 pairs of spines and a smooth exoskeleton (in addition to huge majors)...those look like Atta, though the pics are small.

And the other looks like Cephalotes sp, not Crematogaster.

I currently maintain a site dedicated to the hyper-diverse myrmicine genus Pheidole.:

PHEIDOLE

I also own the Lurker's Guide to Leafcutters Ants

#4 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 14 2024 - 10:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Atta are larger usually, have 3 pairs of spines and a smooth exoskeleton (in addition to huge majors)...those look like Atta, though the pics are small.

Look closely, there are two types of ants in the photo.
  • AsdinAnts and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline kalimant - Posted June 14 2024 - 10:34 AM

kalimant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Look closely, there are two types of ants in the photo.

ha! I did miss the small Crematogaster...had to make it larger

I currently maintain a site dedicated to the hyper-diverse myrmicine genus Pheidole.:

PHEIDOLE

I also own the Lurker's Guide to Leafcutters Ants

#6 Offline AntidepressAnt - Posted June 14 2024 - 11:33 AM

AntidepressAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Super jealous of you right now lol
You have cephalotes, crematogaster, and leafcutters near you? Amazing.

Living in the tropics you get to see a lot of interesting critters all year round, but that could be both a good and a bad thing... Even the leafcutters, as cool as they are, can be a real pest in gardens as you can see! They completely defoliated my candlebush, but most of my other plants had only a bit of damage. I'm kinda stumped about trying to control them, as I prefer not to use pesticides if that's an option. At first I thought about making some sort of small water ditch around the plants they attack the most, but I realized I would just end up with a ton of mosquitoes. Does anyone have some ideas?

• AsdinAnts likes this

#7 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted June 14 2024 - 11:42 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
Yea, I see what you mean now.

You could try to sprinkle some diatomaceous earth around the plant, as to deter the leafcutters.
You could also try potting the plants, and planting some mint plants alongside them.
(idrk anything about them so don’t take my words to seriously 😅)
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some other lasius types in the future.
You should also subscribe to my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/@AsdAnts

#8 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 14 2024 - 12:34 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yea, I see what you mean now.

You could try to sprinkle some diatomaceous earth around the plant, as to deter the leafcutters.
You could also try potting the plants, and planting some mint plants alongside them.
(idrk anything about them so don’t take my words to seriously 😅)

Diatomaceous earth is a good idea, but it would get washed away easily.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#9 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted June 14 2024 - 3:29 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Aw man! I'm so jealous! I wish my backyard had such amazing varietys of ants(not that ants in my backyards aren't cool). Also, the Cephalotes sp looks so adorable! Truly shows such wonderous diverstiy of ants. 

#10 Offline AntidepressAnt - Posted June 14 2024 - 4:43 PM

AntidepressAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Diatomaceous earth does sound worth a try!

By the way guys, I believe the Cephalotes colony living in that cashew tree was the origin of the queen I caught months ago and I talked about in this topic: https://www.formicul...got-a-new-queen

Sadly that queen didn't make it, died without laying a single egg as far as I could tell, a real shame. These are pretty interesting ants. This colony is living close to the Crematogaster with no apparent issues, makes me wonder if this is a case of parabiotic association. I'm not sure if they are sharing nests though, as I can't find entrances.

Edited by AntidepressAnt, June 14 2024 - 4:44 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#11 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 15 2024 - 1:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A moat around the bush could also work. You could fill it with another liquid like oil, or use mosquito dunks, which have a bacteria that kills mosquito larvae if you filled it with water. Not sure if those are available in Brazil, but they are a wonderful product to naturally prevent mosquitos.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster, cephalotes, leafcutter, antlion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users