• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Big Orange And Black Camponotus Queen

Best Answer ReignofRage , June 12 2024 - 1:52 PM

It's not actual Camponotus sansabeanus. It's one of the plethora of undescribed species that fall into a clade with C. sansabeanusC. semitestaceus, and C. vicinus.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tanks - Posted June 12 2024 - 11:02 AM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLos Angles, California

She was found in SoCal, specifically Tujunga, on a tree at a park connected to a sandy trail at about 9 PM. I'm assuming she is a species of Camponotus that likes to dig as I've seen  worker ants that look like her that nested in the ground on the trail. I've also seen the same species come in straight battalions out some grass and plants, were talking majors the same size of her.  She is about 10mm and has little hairs on her body. Also included a pic of a nanitic. 

IMG-3633.jpg

IMG-3635.jpg

IMG-3636.jpg

#2 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted June 12 2024 - 11:26 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

C.sansabeanus 

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#3 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 12 2024 - 1:52 PM   Best Answer

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • LocationCalif.

It's not actual Camponotus sansabeanus. It's one of the plethora of undescribed species that fall into a clade with C. sansabeanusC. semitestaceus, and C. vicinus.

• GOCAMPONOTUS likes this

#4 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted June 12 2024 - 4:36 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I was having second thoughts as the nanitics were lighter colored thanks for pointing that out Reighn

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#5 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 12 2024 - 6:24 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Love the colouring on these guys! Are those simply an unidentified species then, or simply uncatalogued by myrmecologists? Perhaps they are so similar it's not worth differentiating? A bit confused about that.

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users