• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best Ant Nest Type for Camponotus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted June 4 2024 - 7:34 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Which type of ant nest is best for camponotus? As in, nests like ytong, acrylic, etc

Edit: Or should I get those fancy wooden nests?

Edited by IdioticMouse26, June 4 2024 - 7:39 PM.

#2 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted June 5 2024 - 12:15 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

I can't say about the other nests but I've been having pretty decent success with my nest from Tar Heel, made from a gypsum cement plaster I believe.

Here's a picture of my colony, started with just a couple workers and several months later, this is what I got (journal in signature too)

zEBoQUV.jpg

I like it as well because it's relatively inexpensive to make and I plan to replace dirty formicariums often as I don't like smells and yes, ant nests / outworld develop a smell.

• T.C., AntsCali098, Izzy and 2 others like this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted June 5 2024 - 1:53 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts
I'd stay away from plastic. Anything 4d printed or acyrilic is a no for me. Most of my Camponotus sp. thrived in grout nests or wooden nests.
  • UtahAnts and Artisan_Ants like this

#4 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted June 5 2024 - 6:23 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Great! Seems like you guys both use a sort of cement-related ant nest. I'll be buying a mini-hearth from tarheel when my Camponotus reaches the desired numbers. (I'm starting a journal today about my vicinus and modoc queens!)

#5 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted June 5 2024 - 6:55 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

I can't say about the other nests but I've been having pretty decent success with my nest from Tar Heel, made from a gypsum cement plaster I believe.

Here's a picture of my colony, started with just a couple workers and several months later, this is what I got (journal in signature too)

zEBoQUV.jpg

I like it as well because it's relatively inexpensive to make and I plan to replace dirty formicariums often as I don't like smells and yes, ant nests / outworld develop a smell.

Really nice picture by the way. I recommend THA as well, they are really high quality. A cheaper but just about as effective option is Arthropod Antics.

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users