• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Camponotus ligniperda queen

camponotus ligniperda

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mads220 - Posted June 6 2024 - 2:51 AM

mads220

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

So i caught a queen about 2 weeks ago now! But i wonder one question. I have heard there are fast growing colonies and slow growing ones of this species.. But the fact is that after only like 5 days in captivity she laid like 6 small eggs! Did i catch her at the perfect time? Or do you think i missed a lot of her eggs and she was further along than i thought?

Also my test tube is a little to small! It fits about 1.5 queen in length (space to move between the cotton balls) but this species workers become like 1 - 1,3 cm when the real workers come out. So i am thinking about connecting a very small outworld and feeding station to it! I will wait until it has 4-5 workers but from what i have seen size wise on youtube there is not going to be a lot of eggs and workers in that chamber.. its to small! It can contain the queen and first workers but after like 7-8 workers they are gonna be CRAMPED. But i don't want to F with the queen to much right now since she is doing so great!

So if i connect it to a small outworld with a hole just big enough for the ants to go in and out and a very small area super simple but they just need more space! Maybe put a bigger test tube next to it and let them move over themself? Please its my first queen I'm kinda scared to do anything wrong! Give me some pointers specially with the small chamber.. 

Edited by mads220, June 6 2024 - 2:53 AM.

#2 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted June 6 2024 - 6:08 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Camponotus are in most cases always slow growers. once in the 2-3 year they start to pick up. Most times it depends on the queen ,she can lay eggs a week after capture or even the day after.

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#3 Offline Izzy - Posted June 6 2024 - 6:18 AM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationUtah

So i caught a queen about 2 weeks ago now! But i wonder one question. I have heard there are fast growing colonies and slow growing ones of this species.. But the fact is that after only like 5 days in captivity she laid like 6 small eggs! Did i catch her at the perfect time? Or do you think i missed a lot of her eggs and she was further along than i thought?

Also my test tube is a little to small! It fits about 1.5 queen in length (space to move between the cotton balls) but this species workers become like 1 - 1,3 cm when the real workers come out. So i am thinking about connecting a very small outworld and feeding station to it! I will wait until it has 4-5 workers but from what i have seen size wise on youtube there is not going to be a lot of eggs and workers in that chamber.. its to small! It can contain the queen and first workers but after like 7-8 workers they are gonna be CRAMPED. But i don't want to F with the queen to much right now since she is doing so great!

So if i connect it to a small outworld with a hole just big enough for the ants to go in and out and a very small area super simple but they just need more space! Maybe put a bigger test tube next to it and let them move over themself? Please its my first queen I'm kinda scared to do anything wrong! Give me some pointers specially with the small chamber.. 

Hello. I'm not sure about fast growing and slow growing, but there is a difference between every queen. For instance, last year I caught 10 Camponotus sansabeanus queens. Some had 2-3 initial workers, while some ended up with 7 or 8. There will always be some level of variation between queens and their first workers.

You could use a small outworld, but I probably wouldn't. As time goes on the water in the test tube will evaporate or the ants will drink it and it will create more space. Camponotus are pretty slow growing so this will give more time for that process to happen. I also find young Camponotus colonies to be very skittish and they will probably run away when you open the test tube to feed them.

I would wait to see if there is any sort of problem with the spacing, and if there is you can address it then. I'd consider it a problem if the ants start escaping while you're feeding them or there isn't enough room to put some food in without disturbing them to the point that its touching them, but I think by the time you're ready to feed them it probably won't be.

Good luck!

• rptraut and Stubyvast like this

#4 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 7 2024 - 3:54 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yep I would definitely attach an outworld, albeit a small one, if you want to. At this stage, there's nothing really to worry about, as ant do enjoy tighter spaces! However, in terms of brood and such, Izzy is correct in that they will drain the water and tunnel into it to make another chamber (Been there, done that haha). At that point you could simply place another test tube in the outworld with water to keep them moisturized. But you probably won't have to do this for a while, as GoCamponotus said, Camponotus are pretty slow, with workers taking up to 2 months to develop into fully grown ones, and until the colony hits 50+ workers, the queen won't go into massive egg production.

Another benefit of the outworld is that you'll have a spot to dump food into without disturbing the colony, which'll be nice for the more skittish ants. And you can watch them drag the food back to the nest, which is super entertaining!

• rptraut likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus ligniperda

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users