• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking for some new ants in upper east TN

lasius camponotus temnothorax pheidole pogonomyrmex tennessee

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Valkyrie04 - Posted June 4 2024 - 9:31 PM

Valkyrie04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationChurch Hill, Tennessee, USA

Some species I am most interested in:

Lasius neoniger, americanus   ( non-parasitic Lasius)

Camponotus  castaneus, americanus, chromaiodes, subbarbatus

Any temnothorax legal in TN   cervispinosus

Pheidole bicarinata

Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis

Thanks for reading and feel free to answer here or dm me on here.  (y)

Looking for...
Acorn Ants
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus castaneus

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted June 5 2024 - 1:15 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Camponotus species (like all the ones you listed) can be found in deciduous forest which isn’t too scarce around the TN area although more scarce than in that of PA. I know for one that C. americanus, C. chromaiodes, and C. subbarbatus live in deciduous forest as I have both C. chromaiodes (a fairly large colony) and a C. subbarbatus queen (founding). I have found a C. americanus major/median in a deciduous forest a little farther away from the forest I collected the C. subbarbatus queen in so yes C. americanus can be found in forests. C. castaneus on the other hand is also another species that I really want but aren’t very common in my state or area. They are very very common in Tennessee though and are flying at this time period. I’ve heard that they live in forests but since their species is so abundant in some states, they have gotten used to suburban area and thrive in other as well mainly due the abundance of food and cracks and crevices where they can nest as these guys are actually ground nesting Camponotus species and do not prefer nesting in wood from what I have heard. Of course though; that doesn’t mean that they can live and thrive in actual full on cities but can survive in suburban areas (including C. chromaiodes but I think think C. subbarbatus strictly live in forested areas although it’s not impossible to find a colony of them in suburban area due to adaptation). Pheidole can be found in open plain lands under rocks with good heat as I have see in videos (since I only get about one species of Pheidole here in PA) and Pogonomyrmex on the other hand aren’t exactly native or found in Tennessee but are legal to be shipped within the state (via buying them from sellers who have permits in order to do so). Hope this helps! Good luck!

Edited by Artisan_Ants, June 5 2024 - 1:20 PM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#3 Offline Valkyrie04 - Posted June 6 2024 - 5:08 PM

Valkyrie04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationChurch Hill, Tennessee, USA

Thanks for the advice. I was kinda asking if anyone had anything to sell. Congratz on your new subbarbatus queen. I would love to have them. They are a very pretty species. 

Looking for...
Acorn Ants
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus castaneus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius, camponotus, temnothorax, pheidole, pogonomyrmex, tennessee

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users