• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Are T. immigrans polygynous?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted June 4 2024 - 1:56 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Just wondering if T. immigrans are polygynous as I have a queen already and wondering if I found more since they just flew if I could combine them and make a supercolony.

#2 Online kiedeerk - Posted June 4 2024 - 2:15 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
No they are not. They will start colonies together but once workers arrive they will kill all but one queen
  • 1tsm3jack likes this

#3 Online Stubyvast - Posted June 4 2024 - 3:30 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

No they aren't. Like Kiedeerk said, and from personal experience, they will stay together until the first workers arrive and then slaughter each other. In really rare cases, however, they will stay together forever.

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#4 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted June 4 2024 - 6:57 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yes, like Stubyvast said in really rare cases they could be polygynous, but don't put them together in hopes of that chance occuring. I have done it in the past, and I severly regret killing poor ant queens due to my bad judgment.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

#5 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted June 4 2024 - 7:39 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
if you ever are going to though, I would suggest founding them together, then separating them in too different areas that are connected together. This will lower the chance of the queens fighting amongst eachother, and could possibly act as a polygynous colony.
(js stating what I heard before 😭)

Edited by AsdinAnts, June 4 2024 - 7:39 PM.

• 1tsm3jack likes this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some other lasius types in the future.
You should also subscribe to my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/@AsdAnts

#6 Offline Izzy - Posted June 4 2024 - 10:26 PM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationUtah

I caught 4 queens I found grouped together under a rock last year. They slowly eliminated one queen at a time until only one remained. This was over the span of about 3 months. For a large portion of that time they had both workers and multiple queens. I haven't tried mixing random queens together, but when I flipped the rock and saw them, they very clearly had chosen to huddle and stay together so I kept them that way to see how it would turn out.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users