• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Relateable question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted June 4 2024 - 10:57 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Has anyone ever had that experience where queen ants would drown themselves in your neighbor's pool or any outdoor pools and your powerless to do anything but watch? Or finding the first queen ant of the year only to find out it's dead? 

Not complaining or anything(ok maybe a little), but...it happens to me all year. So many fascinating and wonderful queen ants drown themselves each year on my neighbor's pool! I'm always so saddend by that. I'm constantly tempted to get my net and scoop them out over the fences that seperate us. 

Btw, why are queen ants so attracted to waters and shiny surfaces? Is it like the same reason as moths are attracted to light?

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted June 5 2024 - 1:56 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
Pool collected queens are awesome. Know the time they are flying and it's a gold mine. I used to wait by pools on hot August afternoons to collect my Myrmica sp. and Lasius sp. queens.
  • UtahAnts, rptraut and IdioticMouse26 like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 5 2024 - 8:01 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

YES definetly. I once found almost 50 fertile Tetramorium Immigrans queens in my neighbor's pool. Caught so many and every single one laid eggs. Gave most of them to my friends haha.

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (polygynous 2 queen + brood)

Camponotus Modoc (single queen + brood)

Camponotus Vicinus (two single queens + brood)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~60+ workers)

Tetramorium immigrans (single queen)

Pending permission to create a Youtube Channel, will be posting about ants, technology reviews, and nerdy stuff I do!

#4 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted June 5 2024 - 1:01 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
I heard it’s a very good method especially in Tetramorium season (right now). I should definitely go try that out.

Keeping:

2x - S. molesta (colonies)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding)  (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)           1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  (y) New!

2x - F. pallidefulva (colonies)             1x T. sessile (mega colony)

2x - C. cerasi (founding)  workers are here!  :yahoo:

1x - B. depilis (founding but no eggs)

2x - P. imparis (colony) 2x P. imparis (founding)  Unfortunately no multi queen P. imparis colonies as all of the queens died due to fungus infection (assumed). RIP  :( 

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#5 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted June 5 2024 - 1:03 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Does the chlorine not kill them?

#6 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted June 5 2024 - 1:22 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Good question. It can due to long exposure (but it’s mainly them drowning which is what kills them) but if saved fast enough from both then they will survive. You can also find them running along the edges and sides of pools so you don’t exactly have to use a net to get queens although it is better and more effective and generally provides way more queens than just looking for them.

Keeping:

2x - S. molesta (colonies)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding)  (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)           1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  (y) New!

2x - F. pallidefulva (colonies)             1x T. sessile (mega colony)

2x - C. cerasi (founding)  workers are here!  :yahoo:

1x - B. depilis (founding but no eggs)

2x - P. imparis (colony) 2x P. imparis (founding)  Unfortunately no multi queen P. imparis colonies as all of the queens died due to fungus infection (assumed). RIP  :( 

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#7 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted June 5 2024 - 2:08 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Good question. It can due to long exposure (but it’s mainly them drowning which is what kills them) but if saved fast enough from both then they will survive. You can also find them running along the edges and sides of pools so you don’t exactly have to use a net to get queens although it is better and more effective and generally provides way more queens than just looking for them.

Ok, thanks. Why are tetramorium queens so attracted to pools? And what time of day and under what conditions do they fly?

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 5 2024 - 3:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,526 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A lit pool at night must look a lot like the moon to a night flying queen. Day flying queens just land on pools by accident I think. Ants are poor fliers and just sort of end up where they fall. Short exposure to chlorine will not kill them.
  • 1tsm3jack likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline bmb1bee - Posted June 5 2024 - 3:40 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA
They should be fine with chlorine for a while. Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t most ants founded with tap water? That also has a fair amount of chlorine.
  • 1tsm3jack likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#10 Offline ZATrippit - Posted June 24 2024 - 10:34 PM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ

A lit pool at night must look a lot like the moon to a night flying queen. Day flying queens just land on pools by accident I think. Ants are poor fliers and just sort of end up where they fall. Short exposure to chlorine will not kill them.

Not to mention pools are basically massive 3x6 pitfall traps. I think the mythos of queens loving pools can be atleast partially chalked up to perception bias.
FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#11 Offline Serafine - Posted June 25 2024 - 12:21 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • LocationGermany

They might have the same issues as bees, which often drop into calm water surfaces because those screw up their optical flow navigation.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#12 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 25 2024 - 9:17 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yep I think that because the moon is "up" ants like to fly in that direction, so they would naturally be attracted to moonlight reflecting off of the water's surface. As to Chlorine, I've kept t. immigrans captured in my neighbours' pool, and they'd been in it for almost an hour, if I am correct, and did not suffer any negative effects. I did notice, however, that they cut off their wings later than queens who had not been captured in the pool. Coincidence?

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (polygynous 2 queen + brood)

Camponotus Modoc (single queen + brood)

Camponotus Vicinus (two single queens + brood)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~60+ workers)

Tetramorium immigrans (single queen)

Pending permission to create a Youtube Channel, will be posting about ants, technology reviews, and nerdy stuff I do!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users