• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium atratulum nuptial flight

nuptial flight

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted May 28 2024 - 1:00 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Greetings!

It has been a LONG time since I have posted anything here or even participated in the ant/myrmecology community as a whole. However, my interest in ants never left and is in fact as strong as ever! I haven't forgotten about you guys, trust me. I'm sure it's been so long though that most of you probably don't even know who I am hahah. For those who do, life is good and I'm doing great! :)

Anyway, I'm here today because I saw something very very cool. And it's ant related! A couple of weeks ago I noticed a seemingly new Tetramorium immigrans colony which was odd as it looked mature and popped up overnight. I kept tabs on it for a bit until I noticed recently that there were loads of Tetramorium atratulum alates emerging from the various nest entrances! Upon realizing what I was looking at I flipped out and raced for my camera (which I happened to have with me what are the odds) and began filming. I've never seen another video of a T. atratulum flight so this was fascinating to witness.  Additionally, I could not find any record of this species in in the state of Indiana so this may also be a first record.

Some key observations: it was sunny and 70-75 degrees F (21-4 degrees C) and breezy (only about 12 knots). There was rain the day before, about an inch. The nuptial flight was continuous. Alates would emerge and quickly flight off. This continued for a few hours. Number of alates at any given time was no greater than 12. They flew two days in a row (so far). Male T. atratulum were visible on the surface walking around (I was surprised by this). T. immigrans workers were present but only occasionally. They didn't seem to care as much as unparasitized colonies do when they have their own flights. I will continue to make observations of this colony until they eventually die off. It's super fascinating and I'm in awe with what I've found. It's just so cool seeing such a rare ant in the wild!

Anyway, here's the video! I have more footage that I will eventually get online but this will do for now. Take care, everyone!

https://www.youtube....n7pHcrwzQ&t=38s

• ANTdrew, UtahAnts, bmb1bee and 1 other like this

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted May 28 2024 - 2:49 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Glad to see you back and great documentation of this Tetramorium inquiline! It appears to be the first record of this species for the state of Indiana.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nuptial flight

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users