• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Founding chamber holes?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted May 28 2024 - 5:14 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Are these holes from ants digging founding chambers?

Attached Images

• IMG_7970.jpg

#2 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted May 28 2024 - 5:36 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
Yes.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#3 Offline UtahAnts - Posted May 28 2024 - 10:49 AM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Hard to say, although I would lean towards no, as founding chambers are usually sealed. I would guess they are either a large colony's entrances or some other Hymenoptera, or insect in general. Turns out a lot of things make holes in the dirt - worms and arachnids are some of the other possibilities.

• bmb1bee, SHmealer, Artisan_Ants and 1 other like this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#4 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 28 2024 - 10:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Also cicadas.
  • Artisan_Ants and 1tsm3jack like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Online bmb1bee - Posted May 28 2024 - 12:39 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Hard to say, although I would lean towards no, as founding chambers are usually sealed. I would guess they are either a large colony's entrances or some other Hymenoptera, or insect in general. Turns out a lot of things make holes in the dirt - worms and arachnids are some of the other possibilities.

Yeah. Also, founding chambers should have small piles of dirt outside, which is what the queens dig out of the ground when constructing chambers.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#6 Offline Stubyvast - Posted May 29 2024 - 3:15 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yah personally don't think so...like the above post usually there's dirt surrounding the entrance, and the holes are smaller and more round looking. Those ones look like they may have been abandoned, if they're so big, or simply not a chamber at all. I do wonder if maybe those are Mason bee nests? Anyone know anything about those?

• 1tsm3jack likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#7 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted May 29 2024 - 4:57 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Yeah weird thing is though that they are everywhere around the woods, and I mean everywhere, like every 2-5 feet there's one.

#8 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 30 2024 - 2:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Cicadas

Yeah weird thing is though that they are everywhere around the woods, and I mean everywhere, like every 2-5 feet there's one.

Cicadas.
  • 1tsm3jack likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 30 2024 - 2:13 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Definitely cicadas

• ReignofRage, Mushu and 1tsm3jack like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users