• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this a drone and what species?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline aheyer - Posted May 27 2024 - 4:38 PM

aheyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I caught this ant out on some onions in my garden in eastern MA in the evening yesterday. I am just curious if I am correct that this is a drone and what species it may be. It is about 8 to 10mm long, black body.

Attached Images

• IMG_5193.jpeg
  • IMG_5191.jpeg
  • IMG_5190.jpeg

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 27 2024 - 4:41 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Camponotus male.
  • TacticalHandleGaming likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Stubyvast - Posted May 27 2024 - 5:55 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yup, that's a drone all right! Thinner gaster, smaller head, means it's basically useless to you. The queens will have larger gasters, and pretty big heads too. However if you find a queen you could stick the male in with her so he can mate, and then you can remove him. But yah males are kind of useless other than that. 

Looks like Camponotus, not exactly sure which kind though. Maybe Modoc or Vicinus? 

Edited by Stubyvast, May 27 2024 - 5:56 PM.

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#4 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted May 28 2024 - 5:36 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
Male Camponotus, possibly vicinius? Please post these sorts of threads in the ID forum.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users