• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Adak's Tetramorium immigrans Journal (Updated 8/20/'24)

tetramorium immigrans tetramorium pleometrosis immigrans

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted July 30 2024 - 1:21 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Tetramorium immigrans
Update 1

July 30, 2024

Hey guys, I'm back! I was super busy these past few months, and haven't had time for ants, unfortunately. But now my schedule has cleared, and I was thrown back into the hobby, in fact right in the middle of a Tetra nuptial flight. These little [censored] had the audacity to fly on the 4th of July, almost like a slap in the face to all of the American ants these invaders have displaced. While I am saddened by their single handedly tanking ant biodiversity all over the continent, I still respect the hardiness, impressive growth, and aggressiveness these ants offer to ant keepers. 

Anyways, I caught 27 of these queens on my driveway. I simply couldn't allow these queens to found colonies in my yard and displace the last of the Lasius colonies holding the line against three maturing Tetra colonies that barely had a few dozens workers 4 years ago. However, I couldn't bring myself to kill the queens either, as they are still queens in the end. So why not have them kill each other? Naturally, chill. For those who didn't know, Tetramorium immigrans founds colonies via a method called pleometrosis. Multiple queens found the colony to increase resources and the number of nanitics (first workers). I noticed these queens' nanitics appear larger and healthier than single-queen nanitics. I have read other posts which claim that queens usually begin killing each other within two weeks of being placed together, though from my personal experience with South Dakota Tetras the queens are not aggressive towards each other, but once workers eclose (hatch) they choose the healthiest and fittest queen and slowly dismember the others by slowly chewing off their limbs and antennae, leaving them blind and immobilized and let them starve to death. Heartwarming, I know. It does, however, allow the most successful queens to be selected through natural processes. 

I divided the 27 queens into 5 groups. Groups A, B, and C each originally had 5 queens, and groups D and E had 6 queens. All colonies just got workers yesterday, and I fed them for the first time today. They are in homemade test tube-pencil case formicaria. Over the next year or so I will choose the healthiest colony to keep and give the others away to other ant keepers in my area. If you're from South Dakota and are interested in one of these colonies, hit me up and DM me!

I got the photos from these videos, which you can watch here on Imgur.

Colony A
This colony had 5 original queens, and one queen died within one week of having them. Now they have roughly ~15 workers. When I checked up on them today one queen was sitting alone at the entrance of the nest, a possible sign she is being rejected by the colony. If she doesn't escape she may be on the chopping block soon.

4 days after capture

26 days after capture

Colony B
All 5 original queens are still alive as of yet. The workers are hardening and beginning to forage, so we'll see how long that lasts. Pleometrosis is like some Game of Thrones plot.

4 days after capture

26 days after capture

Colony C
Two queens died within a week of capture, the most of all the colonies. They have 3 queens currently, and around 10 workers. They also have the smallest amount of brood of the colonies, though it is still substantial. The fact this colony is the least successful is a testament to just how successful all five colonies are. 

4 days after capture

26 days after capture

Colony D
The best of the five, this 6-queened colony still has all 6 queens and has shown no signs of disposing of any queens, though some queens are noticeably skinnier than others. It has around 20 workers now, and should be around 30 by the time all nanitics are finished eclosing. This is the colony I'm considering keeping as of now, though colonies B and E are also options if they possibly overtake D in the future. A and C are noticeably behind the other three, and likely won't be chosen.

4 days after capture

Tetramorium immigrans Colony D 7/30/2024 (youtube.com) (Sorry, it uploaded as a short, and Formiculture doesn't support shorts.)

26 days after capture

Colony E
My other six-queened colony is also very successful, with around 15 workers. While still behind Colony D, they are about tied with Colony B for 2nd place. Like colony D they are showing no signs of disposing of any of their queens as of yet. All queens have all their limbs in tact from what I can see. We'll see how the purge unfolds over the next couple weeks. 

4 days after capture; the eggs appear scattered because I accidentally rolled the test tube.

26 days after capture; as you can see, everything turned out alright... for now.

Edited by RushmoreAnts, August 20 2024 - 1:38 PM.

• ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and UtahAnts like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#2 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 6 2024 - 2:54 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Update 2

August 6, 2024

Alright, lots of lore and gore coming out of these colonies this time around. They are finally choosing their supreme and only monarchs. I also have more accurate worker counts and have reevaluated the colonies I'm likely to keep, and all estimates are within a margin of +/- 3 workers.

Colony A
A is actually one of the boring colonies, it has yet to kill off one of its queens and holds steady at 4. However in terms of numbers it holds second place, with a worker count of ~25.

NtQdCGw.jpg

Colony B

We have a winner! B is the first colony to officially reject all of its excess queens, bringing the grand total down to just one. Its worker count is only at ~17, though it may shoot up through the ranks as they have a very large and healthy pile of large larvae.

buXKpPa.jpg

TZ78yMl.jpg

Recently rejected queen, was being attacked by workers before I disturbed them for the photoshoot

3o5Gv3N.jpg

Graveyard. Queens the colony killed and workers those queens killed

Colony C

The other boring colony, C has also yet to kill off any of its queens, though since it has the lowest starting queen count at 3 that also means that statistically and now in reality they have the fewest workers, at ~15. Still more nanitics than your average 1 queen colony, though.

x0MnIs9.jpg

Colony D

Colony D, while at the top of its game in the first update, has proven that nature is very unpredictable. About two days after I posted the last update, this colony became the first to execute any of its queens and killed off one. The next day they killed off two more. A couple days ago they killed off a fourth. Now it seems like they're beginning to reject the fifth one. It's been a long bloodbath. Worker count is at ~20.

Tetramorium immigrans Colony D 8/6/2024 (youtube.com) (Sorry again, this video also uploaded as a short. Again, colony D is the victim here.)

CFHda93.jpg

Colony E

This colony used to be boring. Not so anymore, especially recently. A couple days ago they killed off their first queen, and have spent at least 48 hours gruesomely torturing her to death in their outworld. I believe she only died just yesterday. I thought they may stay at 5 queens for a while, but I was very wrong. This morning I checked on them to see two of the queens fighting, a first in keeping Tetras. A few minutes ago I checked on them, and all four of the remaining extra queens were being attacked simultaneously by multiple workers. It's a warzone in their test tube. I believe Colony D's population dropped since their literal battle royales were so bloody, as several workers died attacking the queens. Colony E, however, has over 30 workers and appear to be much more competent in restraining the queens before execution, and worker loss seems to be much lower despite the chaos. Even if they do lose a lot workers, they can take it. They are by far doing the best, and I am strongly considering keeping this colony permanently. If by some freak of nature colony A or C remains polygynous I will keep one of them as well. 

7smKwzG.jpg

qvx9qQY.jpg

3TAv46q.jpg

Queens fighting

9HPdxiO.jpg

Brood (Sorry the quality is so bad for Colony D and E, their test tube seems to obscure my camera's view.)

UDo4CXO.jpg

The queen that was tortured for over 2 days is finally dead. This was outside the test tube so the quality is much improved.

Here's the colony rankings so far:

Workers:

E - 30

A - 25

D - 20

B - 17

C - 15

Queens:

A - 4

C - 3

D - 2

E - 1

B - 1

Edited by AntsDakota, August 12 2024 - 11:30 AM.

• ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota, rptraut and 1 other like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Myrmica sp.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 6 2024 - 3:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Savage!
  • RushmoreAnts and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 20 2024 - 1:37 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Update 3

August 20, 2024

So I have some sad news. Colony E started to kill its queens like usual. However shortly after the last update they got a little too "savage" and killed ALL of them. They are now queenless, and I will definitely not be keeping them. Well, one less colony I have to get off my hands. As to not waste resources, I fed their brood to my Formica cf. pallidefulva and Formica cf. incerta colonies. I didn't brood boost my other colonies since I didn't want to skew their natural development, as that will determine which colony I end up keeping, thus feeding them to the Formica seemed like the logical alternative. 

0lX1Hx5.jpeg

Formica cf. incerta 1 week after consuming Colony E's brood

8G35Mn3.jpeg

Formica cf. pallidefulva 1 week after consuming Colony E's brood

As you can see, they benefitted greatly from the protein boost, which prompted both queens to lay more eggs. This was the cf. pallidefulva before the boost:

TXMRFfw.jpeg

The remaining colonies have massive brood piles, and consume equally massive food portions for colonies their size. I feed them three times a week, with either a whole mealworm or third of a large superworm. They always hollow out the mealworms and get over halfway done with the superworms.

Colony A

As of today, this colony finally started killing off its queens. Workers are attacking all three undesired queens at once. Besides that, they are now doing the best out of my four remaining colonies, with around 30 workers and roughly 90 larvae and pupae, and over 100 eggs. The floor is a carpet of brood several layers deep, and the cotton is decorated with large larvae. Yesterday the first workers of this massive next generation eclosed, and they're longer, beefier, and have larger heads than the nanitics. While the nanitics triggered queen killing in the other colonies, it seems like this second generation triggered it in Colony A. As of now this is the colony I am thinking of keeping. As you've seen over these past couple updates that could very well change. Colonies B and D are not far behind.

7nxoUJb.jpeg

Sorry for the bad quality, I take my pictures outside in natural light, and today it was cloudy and raining.

A7HvB6q.jpeg

y2uZsZY.jpeg

Undesired queen being attacked

Colony B

With around 25 workers and ~70 larvae and pupae, Colony B is also making a name for itself, being the first colony to kill all of its undesired queens and the first to recover from worker losses, and is roughly tied with Colony D for second place. The cotton is molding, though the ants don't seem to mind, and still keep some larvae on the cotton. I couldn't determine how large their egg pile was, as it must be hidden under the larvae and pupae.

F04IG58.jpeg

DAJxBPW.jpeg

Colony C

So unfortunately this colony suffered from test tube flooding, and they lost roughly half of their brood. They moved to the far side of the test tube near the entrance.They were doing the worst out of all the colonies anyways, with around 20 workers and ~40 larvae and pupae before the flooding, so I'm not very concerned. Interestingly, this colony stands as the only colony to not kill any of its queens yet. This is likely due to their smaller workerforce, and will probably kill their extras once they start catching up with the other colonies. They have roughly 30 eggs.

84pGoY2.jpeg

lv6vlzQ.jpeg

Colony D

Near-peer to Colony B, Colony D has killed the last of its undesired queens and stabilized. When killing the last queen, however, they were attacking both remaining queens at the same time, and I was worried they would go the route of Colony E. Fortunately the workers came to their senses before that, and didn't form an anarchical coup poised to overthrow the government. I was also unable to determine the egg count for this colony.

No more annoying YT shorts for this colony!

q9786Vf.jpeg

q0P7har.jpeg

Rankings

Workers:

A - 30

B - 25

D - 25

C -20

Queens:

C - 3

A - 1

B - 1

D - 1

E - 0

Larvae & Pupae:

A - 90

B - 70

D - 70

C - 20

E - 0

• Ants_Dakota and rptraut like this

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Myrmica sp.

#5 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted August 20 2024 - 1:41 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

What was the worker carrying in her mandibles in colony D?

(Formica was enjoying their rice  ;)

Edited by OwlThatLikesAnts, August 20 2024 - 1:42 PM.

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#6 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 20 2024 - 2:19 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

What was the worker carrying in her mandibles in colony D?

(Formica was enjoying their rice  ;)

She was carrying a piece of grout from the outworld. They brought a lot of debris into the test tube to make it homier. 

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Myrmica sp.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium immigrans, tetramorium, pleometrosis, immigrans

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users