• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

JenC's Camponotus maritimus Journal

camponotus camponotus maritimus carpenter ants journal maritimus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JenC - Posted June 13 2024 - 8:31 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

INDEX

Current:

Camponotus maritimus (NORCAL) 1 queen, 50-100 workers

Camponotus maritimus (SOCAL) 1 queen, 3 workers

Old maritimus journal: 

https://www.formicul...l/?hl=maritimus

Last Updated: 7/17/24

Edited by JenC, July 17 2024 - 6:29 PM.

• Karma likes this

#2 Offline JenC - Posted June 13 2024 - 8:33 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

JenC's Camponotus maritimus (NORCAL)

Introduction

This is my 2nd journal for Camponotus maritimus, a species endemic to California. This species isn't really kept that much nowadays due to being 'outcompeted' by other ant species in basically all capacities such as color, looks, etc. They're a species that hates light, vibrations, and basically anything that isn't food, water, or themselves. They behave very erratically and are honestly the most interesting when it comes to their behavior. An example being that they will run around and abandon their nest if I try to take pictures. I have very limited pictures of this specific colony due to maritimus not being photogenic and since I've always had other interests (ca02, mendax, etc) that I took pictures of instead. Literally, pictures for this colony are non-existent as you can probably tell from the huge gaps in the dates.

A slight reddish hue exists on the workers' and majors' thoraxes if you look closely. 

April 2020

Pictures of the queen during founding. 

May 2024

Pictures of workers drinking honey and eating mealworms. Look at that major!

June 2024

Pictures of their setup and a major. I had to cover up their test tubes to avoid them scurrying out every time I tried to look at them. Ignore the glaring light...

I'll take a picture of their queen again one day...

Edited by JenC, June 13 2024 - 11:31 PM.

• Karma likes this

#3 Offline JenC - Posted June 13 2024 - 8:34 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

JenC's Camponotus maritimus (SOCAL)

Introduction

This is the 2nd Camponotus maritimus colony that I'm currently keeping. 

May 30, 2024

First worker!

July 17, 2024

A crappy macro lens test I did. A reminder on why I usually use PVA sponges but I thought I might as well share the result. 

This will be updated in a couple of years...

Edited by JenC, July 17 2024 - 7:41 PM.

• Karma, B_rad0806 and ZTYguy like this

#4 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 14 2024 - 8:41 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

No way...a few years?!?!

Weird how they don't know much about this species. That's one thing that can be frustrating about antkeeping: Not much information for some species. Hope your colony does well!

Currently raising: 

Myrmica rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius neoniger (3 single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Formica pacifica (Queen)

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#5 Offline JenC - Posted June 14 2024 - 5:53 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

No way...a few years?!?!

Weird how they don't know much about this species. That's one thing that can be frustrating about antkeeping: Not much information for some species. Hope your colony does well!

Yes the colony is a few years old. Yeah not a ton of information exists on maritimus. Random but something I've found with this species in my experience is that they always tend to max out at around 30 workers in their first year. Also, thanks for the good wishes!

Edited by JenC, June 14 2024 - 5:55 PM.

#6 Offline JenC - Posted July 17 2024 - 7:43 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

I added a short test video I did up above. It doesn't really count as an update. 

You can see some other cool videos from that channel if you want though...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, camponotus maritimus, carpenter ants, journal, maritimus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users