• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Novomessor? Myrmica? Aphenogaster?

worker only

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RequiredField - Posted May 7 2024 - 3:56 PM

RequiredField

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys,

Have been finding these dudes walking around in my backyard, mostly near a garden with some flat stones around the border (Eastern PA). Haven’t been able to find where a colony entrance or gravesite is but have found a consistent supply of workers foraging in and around some springtime flowers.

I haven’t seen many, if any, of them in the past couple years so figured I’d throw this into the mix.

Workers are definitely monomorphic, haven’t seen much variation in size other than what you’d expect out of non major Camp. Pennsylvanicus.

Size is roughly that of an index fingernail, couldn’t get an accurate measurement of an alive worker.

Definitely appear to be nested somewhere in between or under the shelves of flat rocks in a well watered garden.

I’m thinking either Novomessor, Myrmica, or Aphenogaster. With their appearances being so similar though, I’m unsure which exactly they are. In two cases the species is likely invasive (1 being naturalized) to my area, I will be attempting to find the queen(s) to take pictures to further investigate.IMG_2116.jpeg IMG_2118.jpeg IMG_2117.jpeg IMG_2161.jpeg

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted May 7 2024 - 4:02 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Aphaenogaster fulva
  • RequiredField and Artisan_Ants like this

#3 Offline RequiredField - Posted May 7 2024 - 4:12 PM

RequiredField

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Aphaenogaster fulva

Nice, this was definitely on my shortlist. Thanks for the help.

What gave it away, I’ve been looking at AntWiki and the likes for hours and can’t come up with any significant differences I can see in my photos compared to the 3 aforementioned genus.

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted May 7 2024 - 6:41 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Novomessor only occurs in the southwest US and Mexico. Myrmica are overall more compact in build, have shorter legs and antennae, stronger sculpturing, and a quite different mesosoma shape. Within Aphaenogaster, the coloration, upturned propodeal spines, and mesonotal hump separate fulva from all others in the region.
  • rptraut and Artisan_Ants like this

#5 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted May 9 2024 - 11:38 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
It was Apheanogaster! I knew I could identify ants properly.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users