• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Old newbie

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Scantly - Posted January 9 2024 - 10:03 AM

Scantly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Just started to get into the habit. Because hobbies for me quickly turn into habits. The whole myrmecology bug just hit me the last few weeks as I never really had a desire (save for the uncle milton crap as a kid) to delve into it before. Partly, because I had no idea how cool the whole thing could be.

I've been reading and watching everything I can the last few weeks. Already order one formicarium, not so much to use initially but just so I can start to get some temp and humidity readings inside (as i plan to keep them in my snake room the ambient temps run higher). And as I've always dealt with radiant heat or heating pads, it might take me awhile to find the right set-up for heat cable, which I figure if needed, would be the better option. 

I figure the next sentence with make me a pariah, but to start I plan on purchasing both the habitat and the inhabitants. I figure that's an easier initial cost of entry. I like the concept of DIYing, and I have made some bioactive enclosures, but I am not a big DIYer, especially with smaller scale.

So anyway, that's that. I figure I've been guesting long enough and should go ahead and sign up. Anything I need to know? Any tips and tricks? I don't plan get purchasing them anytime soon. Just want all my ducks in a row and to learn more. As I said, up until a week ago or so, I thought Uncle Milton was the extent of it and now I am thinking of one day making a nice bioactive setups in tanks.

If it matters, thinking of starting with Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis as I like their whole seed hoarding behavior, and honestly, their stinging bite. The danger of not doing something right and paying the price appeals to me. 

• UtahAnts likes this

#2 Online ANTdrew - Posted January 9 2024 - 1:23 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome to the hobby!
  • rptraut likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users