• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Izzy's Camponotus sansabeanus Journal

22 replies to this topic

#21 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted July 30 2024 - 8:29 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Yes some tend to be darker in coloration mostly the queen.

• antlover18 likes this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#22 Offline Yusteponant - Posted September 12 2024 - 2:29 PM

Yusteponant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSan Marino,California

Can't wait. I bought a colony of these girls from JenC and once I get home I can open them up and see how they're doing. Hope they are alive!

• Izzy likes this

#23 Offline Izzy - Posted Yesterday, 5:46 PM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationUtah

POPULAR

A bit late on this update but better late than never.

I'm happy to announce that the two large cocoons from the Left Colony did indeed turn out to be majors! They eclosed a little over a month ago.

I wasn't sure if the first major was going to make it, as it took them about 4-5 days to fully remove all the cocoon that was wrapped around her legs. Meanwhile she just sat around unable to move. During that time they seemed to be ignoring her. I thought for sure she would die, but eventually I woke up to find that they had unbound her and she seemed to be doing well.

Unfortunately the second major did not make it. I'm not sure if there was an issue with eclosing or what, but I woke up to find her ripped into two pieces in the outworld.

Here is a picture of the sole major between the two colonies.

major.jpg

The larger colony (the Right Colony) has yet to produce any majors, but this colony has outgrown the other by leaps and bounds and they have several medians at this point.

big-colony.jpg

I bought and built my first home and I specifically requested extra lighting to be installed in all of the rooms since I just really like light, but I'm hoping it'll help provide some better pictures and viewing experience going forward. Both colonies did great during the move and it didn't seem to stress them out too much.

This will probably be the last update for these colonies until next year. I'm not anticipating a lot of growth in the next few weeks. The new ant room in my house is a bit cooler than the previous one (sits around 68-70 where as the other was 76-78 degrees) so its served as a nice way to start slowly cooling them down before they move into the garage in a few weeks.

I'm really excited they were able to produce a major during their second year. That was one of my goals for these colonies and I wasn't sure if it was going to happen till year three. Looking forward to their explosive growth next year.

Also here is a bonus picture of my current ant room setup. I probably need another desk at this point. I'm looking forward to doing some more interesting things now that I don't have to worry about landlords and moving.

setup.jpg

• Karma, ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and 7 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users