• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kiedeerk's Epic multi-species Ant Keeping Journal

kiedeerk journal multi-species ant keeping epic

188 replies to this topic

#161 Offline kiedeerk - Posted July 29 2024 - 5:13 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Update: Pheidole rhea

It’s a love and hate relationship with these guys. I love how polymorphic they are and being the largest pheidole in the country and possibly the world, they are cool compared to the tiny native pheidole species.
The only problem is that they grow too fast and are very good at climbing and escaping. I have only fed them seeds for months end and they are not heated however my ant room is quite warm probably a constant 75F. They still are managing to grow despite me trying to limit their numbers.

Attached Images

• IMG_6484.jpeg
  • IMG_6483.jpeg
  • IMG_6482.jpeg
  • IMG_6476.jpeg
  • IMG_6485.jpeg
  • IMG_6486.jpeg

• Karma, eea, Full_Frontal_Yeti and 2 others like this

#162 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted July 29 2024 - 6:47 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Wow I wish I had an ant species native to my area that has such distinctive super majors!

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#163 Offline kiedeerk - Posted August 3 2024 - 5:29 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
I am going to have some free time this weekend to update a few more of my colonies:

Novomessor albisetosus:
These guys are fun to keep and grow pretty rapidly with heat like most desert species. They are larger versions of aphaenogaster that native to my region. They are omnivores so they will take seeds/nuts and insects. I rarely or never give them sugar water and they seem to do fine. They can quickly get out of hand if kept in ideal conditions. They have a weird behavior of having the workers carry eggs and small larva clutches in their mandibles.

Attached Images

• IMG_6497.jpeg
  • IMG_6492.jpeg
  • IMG_6493.jpeg
  • IMG_6508.jpeg
  • IMG_6496.jpeg
  • IMG_6499.jpeg
  • IMG_6502.jpeg

• Karma, ANTdrew, eea and 1 other like this

#164 Offline kiedeerk - Posted August 4 2024 - 1:26 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Pogonomyrmex badius

These guys are now 2-3 years old. They are otherwise quite easy to care for. They do require high heat and humidity. There are usually water droplets inside the nest. The down side is the glass is usually very blurry because of the humidity and makes taking pictures very difficult. I have only fed them seeds and fish flakes. They do not require sugar source or insect although insect protein will likely boost their growth. But they are growing plenty fast and probably have exceeded 1-2k workers by now.

#165 Offline kiedeerk - Posted August 4 2024 - 1:29 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Pogonomyrmex badius

These guys are now 2-3 years old. They are otherwise quite easy to care for. They do require high heat and humidity. There are usually water droplets inside the nest. The down side is the glass is usually very blurry because of the humidity and makes taking pictures very difficult. I have only fed them seeds and fish flakes. They do not require sugar source or insect although insect protein will likely boost their growth. But they are growing plenty fast and probably have exceeded 1-2k workers by now.

Attached Images

• IMG_6555.jpeg
  • IMG_6554.jpeg
  • IMG_6553.jpeg
  • IMG_6551.jpeg
  • IMG_6547.jpeg
  • IMG_6549.jpeg

• Karma, ANTdrew, Ernteameise and 1 other like this

#166 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted August 4 2024 - 7:52 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Beautiful pictures!!!

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#167 Offline kiedeerk - Posted August 8 2024 - 2:38 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
My Camponotus crew

As I have mentioned above. I love the founding stages of ant keeping the most. I am starting over with Camponotus castaneus and pennsylvanicus. I have released my larger castaneus colony. Camponotus nearcticus and subbarbatus are doing well. I have also caught a Camponotus caryae this year and I am very excited to raise this less well known species. I have two Camponotus socius colonies, one is doing much better than the other but the smaller colony is recovering well and has a much larger queen and the workers are also larger. I am not sure why maybe because they were caught in different regions.

Attached Images

• IMG_6574.jpeg
  • IMG_6575.jpeg
  • IMG_6577.jpeg
  • IMG_6587.jpeg
  • IMG_6590.jpeg
  • IMG_6591.jpeg
  • IMG_6593.jpeg

• Karma likes this

#168 Offline kiedeerk - Posted August 10 2024 - 2:14 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
My trachymyrmex have grown so much since I came back from vacation.
Their nest is pretty full of fungus so the only way to grow is up. Close up view of the fungus and its intricate design and honeycomb shape

Attached Images

• IMG_6607.jpeg
  • IMG_6600.jpeg
  • IMG_6601.jpeg
  • IMG_6603.jpeg
  • IMG_6608.jpeg
  • IMG_6605.jpeg
  • IMG_6604.jpeg

Edited by kiedeerk, August 10 2024 - 2:15 AM.

• Karma, ANTdrew and rptraut like this

#169 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 10 2024 - 2:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s truly incredible.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#170 Offline kiedeerk - Posted August 10 2024 - 5:41 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
This is my smaller M placadops 01 colony. They have about 100+ workers and they are doing well. They are housed inside my diy glow in dark nest. I cleaned their glass today so it makes taking pictures much clearer. The crystals are charged using sunlight and will glow brightly in the dark for a while.

Attached Images

• IMG_6618.jpeg
  • IMG_6619.jpeg
  • IMG_6624.jpeg
  • IMG_6623.jpeg
  • IMG_6628.jpeg
  • IMG_6627.jpeg
  • IMG_6629.jpeg

• Karma, Full_Frontal_Yeti and Ernteameise like this

#171 Offline Ernteameise - Posted August 17 2024 - 6:11 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationGermany

Beautiful pictures and what a wonderful colony.

I think this is probably my number 1 dream ant species.

#172 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted August 17 2024 - 12:26 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
Looking at this journal makes me want to have a lot of big colonies like you. Though right now my biggest colony still has nanitics.

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#173 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted August 17 2024 - 2:52 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

One thing i noticed as I browsed through your journal is how clean your nests are. The ants seem to create very little mold or store trash anywhere. Is this because of your efforts through cleaning, your DIY nest designs, or are these ants just super clean?

Edited by Ants_Dakota, August 17 2024 - 2:52 PM.

• cooIboyJ likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship Lasius nationwide!

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

#174 Offline kiedeerk - Posted August 17 2024 - 6:38 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

One thing i noticed as I browsed through your journal is how clean your nests are. The ants seem to create very little mold or store trash anywhere. Is this because of your efforts through cleaning, your DIY nest designs, or are these ants just super clean?

Ants are really clean naturally. They don’t like trash or mold in their nest. The key is having the appropriate sized nest for the colony. Too many colonies are housed in nest way too big for them.

#175 Offline kiedeerk - Posted August 18 2024 - 10:03 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
I went to the beach yesterday. I found some nice and interesting flat rocks. I already had an idea and design for a new expansion nest for my larger placadops 01 colony. The concept is for maximum viewing on 3 sides. The nice flat natural rocks are suitable to make the shelves the repletes will hang from. The color of the rocks also fit the desert theme

Attached Images

• IMG_6644.jpeg
  • IMG_6640.jpeg
  • IMG_6638.jpeg
  • IMG_6637.jpeg
  • IMG_6636.jpeg
  • IMG_6635.jpeg
  • IMG_6633.jpeg

• Karma, AntBoi3030 and Ernteameise like this

#176 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted August 18 2024 - 11:45 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
That looks really cool.

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#177 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 18 2024 - 12:01 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I went to the beach yesterday. I found some nice and interesting flat rocks. I already had an idea and design for a new expansion nest for my larger placadops 01 colony. The concept is for maximum viewing on 3 sides. The nice flat natural rocks are suitable to make the shelves the repletes will hang from. The color of the rocks also fit the desert theme

Very natural... I love it! (y)

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#178 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 18 2024 - 1:49 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Super cool!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#179 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 18 2024 - 7:46 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationMaryland
That’s sick

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#180 Offline kiedeerk - Posted August 25 2024 - 8:45 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Moved in my smaller colony of M placadops 01 into my new nest. Was a fairly easy move. They have a very healthy brood pile. They are using the natural shelves to their advantage. They are even putting the brood onto the shelves. The downside is the formulicarium is made from acrylic which does not come close to glass in terms of clarity. Overall still quite happy with the results

Attached Images

• IMG_6654.jpeg
  • IMG_6650.jpeg
  • IMG_6656.jpeg
  • IMG_6657.jpeg
  • IMG_6655.jpeg
  • IMG_6665.jpeg

• Karma, eea, Ernteameise and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kiedeerk, journal, multi-species, ant keeping, epic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users