• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant nest(formicarium)tutorial

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 20 2022 - 11:12 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Happy holiday to my fellow formiculturians?You are welcome to ANT NEST TUTORIAL,and am your host Ant-nig321.we are all coming to the end of the year and coming closer to beginning of new anting season. So i'll get to the point,here we antkeepers come to share our idea on making and improving the quality of beautiful ant nest(formicaria) ,so our little cuties could live to their fullest. Now anyone who has idea or guide tutorials(step by step),could he/she share with us how to make an advanced formicaria ?So we could get prepared on the upcoming anting season.i'll make a guide myself but i'm not confident enough and do not know how to go about it because i've never done it before,i only buy them.In conclusion,i hope we all work together to archieve this goal,thank you all for your time! merry christmas and a happy new year,bye!

Edited by Ant-nig321, December 21 2022 - 2:41 AM.

#2 Offline TheGreatAlate - Posted December 21 2022 - 8:28 AM

TheGreatAlate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCook County, Illinois

Check out the Pictures of Formicariums and Outworlds topic, it’ll have what you’re looking for there…

#3 Offline rptraut - Posted December 21 2022 - 10:58 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Designing a formicarium is one of really fun parts of ant keeping for me.  By making your own, you can tailor it to your conditions and your ants and have fun in the process.  You can design the chambers to a size and number ideal for your specific colony.  In the Formicariums and Outworlds section I've posted a number of my formicaria, many of them with step by step instructions.  In the text I try to explain the design and how it satisfies the needs of the ants with ease of care for me. 

I think the formicarium design should take some key elements into consideration to be successful.

1.  Moisture Control - A source of water in the nest and in the outworld.  Humidity, particularly of the nest is important with a cool/moist area and a warm/dry area for a temperature and moisture gradient.  Ease of watering and a water reservoir have to be provided.  Provision should be made for flooding or drought, in other words an area that will absorb flood water and also provide water when conditions are dry.  I try to design an oasis in the outworld to provide these benefits.  The water reservoir in the nest and the oasis in the outworld are usually linked, water can flow from one to the other.

2.  Ventilation - Ventilation is important to prevent molds, circulate air, and help regulate temperature.  A vent on the top and one on the side usually works to keep glass clear.  Additional ventilation may be required for ants that produce toxic or noxious substances.

3.  Temperature - Ideally a warm area and a cool area should be provided, often combined with the moisture gradient.  In my case, sunshine warms things up during the day and then cools down at night.  Heat mats and cables can be integrated into the design to provide warm areas.  

4.  Nest and nest chambers - Appropriate to the type and size of ants, sometimes expandable to grow with the colony, ideally expandable by the ants as they grow.  It's nice if the nest chambers are visible, but not absolutely necessary.  A red filter and blackout cover are often placed over the nest area.   I also try to provide a separate chamber or area for the queen and her entourage.  It may be a small chamber away from the rest, or a separate test tube set apart.  Queens like this.

5.  Outworld - An area away from the nest for feeding, garbage etc.  A play area and an oasis in the outworld adds variety for the ants and me.  I add rocks, plastic plants, sticks, moss, and cones for interest and play.  A flat feeding area is provided for a tray or feeder and sometimes an area or test tube is provided for garbage.

6.  Barrier - whatever it takes to keep the ants in.  The safest is always a physical barrier, (ie screen) with a no escape, no return policy.  Mineral Oil on vertical surfaces is my best recommendation for many ants.

7.  Security and Position - Where will it be placed and how will the environment affect the conditions in the formicarium, such as if it is placed in a partly sunny window or an air conditioned room.   You should be able to water, feed and clean without undue threat of escape.  A satisfactory lid is important and a feeding port is often helpful.   Future connecting ports should also be included.  

If you look at the examples I've posted you'll notice they have a cool/moist area and a warm/dry area which works well with their final position which is in a partly sunny window with warm days and cool nights.  I position them so the same end faces the sun every day, becoming the warm/dry area.  The other end becomes the cool/moist area with the water reservoir and oasis and the water fill tubes face me for easy maintenance.

2022-09-20 001.JPG

This is the ant setup in my workshop, the environment I design my formicaria to fit into.  

• Chickalo and ISpeakForTheTrees like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users