• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis Invicta - Northwest Florida: Caught 12/05/2022

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 12 2022 - 4:11 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
Nobody in Florida is buying invicta, you can literally walk outside here just about any day of the year and find several queens and I would never risk a federal crime by selling out of state for what, the 30 dollars I would get? Lol no worries guys, I didn't get into anting to break laws or do anything crazy, I just wanna observe and learn. However, if I ever catch something worth selling and I don't already have it in my collection or if I don't want to have it, I probably will. Or, more likely, I would probably trade them. I like the idea of trading something I don't need/want for something that I do more than I do selling.(In state and/or with proper permits of course)

Edited by Flu1d, December 12 2022 - 5:55 PM.

#22 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 12 2022 - 4:33 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
Try making a multi queen colony with the extra queens

#23 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 12 2022 - 5:51 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
[quote name="LowQualityAnts" post="221488" timestamp="1670891602"]

Try making a multi queen colony with the extra queens[/quotee]

I thought that would be fun, myself :)

I went ahead and put together 2 groups of 4 and a single group of 3 and the first queen I caught is by herself.

I am gonna see what happens, I may or may not journal about it.

#24 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 12 2022 - 11:02 PM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Why not make a journal

#25 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 13 2022 - 5:25 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Why not make a journal

I'm super lazy and I have no idea what to write.. I'm such a noob to ants I would feel out of place because I barely know any scientofic names for anything in this realm.. But I will think about it. If I do write a journal, it probably will be a while into the process of keeping these ants.. But I will keep things in mind so if I do decide to write one I will have any key points listed that may have happened before I decided to write so you have every piece of the journey to read. So far, nothing has really happened so it wouldn't be hard to log it

#26 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 13 2022 - 11:08 PM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
It's simple,but stressful.You just need to write records on the progress of your ants weekly,if so.You post pictures of them and the beautiful nest you make for them.It also make the forum going.But on the bright side,it give information to new(or expert)ant keepers on the right track at raising the species in topic.

#27 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 14 2022 - 8:06 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

It's simple,but stressful.You just need to write records on the progress of your ants weekly,if so.You post pictures of them and the beautiful nest you make for them.It also make the forum going.But on the bright side,it give information to new(or expert)ant keepers on the right track at raising the species in topic.

I began one.

Edit: I just saw you posted on it lol

Edited by Flu1d, December 14 2022 - 8:10 AM.

#28 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 14 2022 - 10:12 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Yeah!!!!

#29 Offline benxixi - Posted December 16 2022 - 10:58 AM

benxixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

should kill them all hun ,

Ants ,formicary, and ants supply product for selling .

Discord : benxixi#0053 , ins :benxixi_ (ants, product, nest pictures)

Pogonomyrmex californicus  1

#30 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 16 2022 - 12:07 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

No

#31 Offline TheGreatAlate - Posted December 16 2022 - 12:24 PM

TheGreatAlate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCook County, Illinois

Please refrain from being negative in a established journal, especially a new ant keeper’s. While minuscule, him keeping S. invicta removes fertile alates that would otherwise have founded new colonies from the ecosystem. If he keeps them contained and under control, he is entitled to keep them, especially with how rampant they are in his area.

Edited by TheGreatAlate, December 16 2022 - 12:24 PM.

• antsriondel likes this

#32 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 16 2022 - 1:55 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Please refrain from being negative in a established journal, especially a new ant keeper’s. While minuscule, him keeping S. invicta removes fertile alates that would otherwise have founded new colonies from the ecosystem. If he keeps them contained and under control, he is entitled to keep them, especially with how rampant they are in his area.

Thank you! I am being guided by some very smart, experienced antkeepers and myrmecologists in Florida and they are ensuring that I do things right and they answer all of my questions and have been overall amazing people in general. I feel confident in my ability to contain and observe these ants.

#33 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 17 2022 - 2:35 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Well i don't have people like that but good luck.

#34 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 17 2022 - 10:55 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Well i don't have people like that but good luck.

I met them on Discord. If you are old enough and your parents are okay with it, I recommend getting a Discord account and talking to folks. There are some pretty large servers on there and I was able to even find people from my part of the world. I have not met them yet, it is still all strictly online but they answer all of my questions and give me info and I do plan on eventually meeting up with them and going anting. You can find people like that, too!

#35 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 17 2022 - 11:03 PM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Thanks

#36 Online ANTdrew - Posted December 18 2022 - 2:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,786 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Formiculture > Discord
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#37 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 18 2022 - 6:59 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Formiculture > Discord

Just about everyone on Formiculture is on Discord, but not the other way around. I speak to a lot of people in Florida and none of them really use the forum so it may be the same for them in their area. However, regardless, there are definitely way more active users across the various Discord servers for sure.

Formiculture is my 2nd favorite resource, however. I recommend Discord people to come to this forum all of the time, in fact I recommended 3 people to come to the forum just yesterday, not sure if any of them did. The fact there's a decade of information on here makes Formiculture an irreplaceable resource, though.

Edited by Flu1d, December 18 2022 - 7:00 AM.

#38 Online ANTdrew - Posted December 19 2022 - 3:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,786 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You won’t see me on Discord. I prefer the relative concord of Formiculture.
  • antsriondel likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#39 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 19 2022 - 7:33 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

You won’t see me on Discord. I prefer the relative concord of Formiculture.

Someone on Discord said Formiculture sucks, I let them know I strongly disagree. Personally, I like both. I'm also new, so I'm trying to get as much info as possible as fast as possible. I may slow diwn once I know most of what I need to know to feel comfortable.

#40 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 19 2022 - 7:35 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
How do i sign-in to Discord?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users