• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Snakes, snails, beetles, spiders, springtails, isopods, millipedes and ants living together.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted August 21 2022 - 5:29 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I've been thinking about a long term project. I know I want to get a huge terrarium someday. I'm talking 50-90gal tank. (one of the big hang ups is how to put an ant-proof lid on such a tank)

Inside this tank I'd like to have a little slice of eastern temperate forest floor. I've been learning about what ants might work well. As much as I love pennslyvanicus carpenter ants, they are probably too active and prone to growing massive colonies for this project. Are there any US carpenter ant species that are big-n-beefy, but don't get large colonies on year 2+?

For other species I'm thinking something like acorn ants and a Formica species similar to subsericea ... something that won't get a huge colony. A Strumigenys sp. (the miniture trap jaw ants that hunt springtails) could be nice.  I'd also like to have a selection of mosses and lichens, interesting isopods, a few little spiders, tons of spring tails would live in the bioactive soil. Snails, millipedes, slugs, and worms would be obvious inclusions. Much of this could be harvested from the forest in my in-laws back yard upstate. 

I'd also need to overwinter the entire enclosure. 

A Trachymyrmex sp. (one of the temperate fungus growers) would be super neat, though I'd first need to learn how to keep them solo, determine how delicate they are... Just a whole lot of steps. 

Another possible "long shot" idea for this environment would be one or two northern brown snakes. These are fairly small snakes that eat worms and snails. Have any of you kept a snake in a terrarium with ants? Would they molest each other? 

The goal is max diversity of plants and small creatures, without any one thing taking over, and minimal conflict and unnatural stress. 

Have any of you done a similar project or seen one online? This is mostly just a dream at this stage. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline UtahAnts - Posted August 21 2022 - 7:42 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley
I've always wanted to do something similar to this! I know my regional biome is different then yours in New York, but based on what I have seen, these would be my recommendations for such a vivarium.

For large Carpenter ants with small colonies, I would recommend C. americanus which nests in soil. Other options for those in the west could be C. vicinus and sansabeanus
As for the formica I'd be careful. Formica are often one of the top insect consumers in most forests, mature colonies (which often get quite large) constantly forage for food around the nest.
I can't say much for the snakes but I do think something to keep the ant population in check wouldn't hurt, especially if you include colonies that reach a large size.
I think the best way to get a good idea of what to put in this Vivarium would to take note of a spot with high species diversity and base the ecosystem from there.

A keeper by the name of Nordic Ants created a large vivarium which lasted a couple years with many species of ants. Link here.

Whatever you choose to do I wish you luck! Keeping ants, let alone different species and genera, in a large vivarium is something I wish was more common in the community

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#3 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted August 22 2022 - 7:48 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

I've always wanted to do something similar to this! I know my regional biome is different then yours in New York, but based on what I have seen, these would be my recommendations for such a vivarium.

For large Carpenter ants with small colonies, I would recommend C. americanus which nests in soil. Other options for those in the west could be C. vicinus and sansabeanus
As for the formica I'd be careful. Formica are often one of the top insect consumers in most forests, mature colonies (which often get quite large) constantly forage for food around the nest.
I can't say much for the snakes but I do think something to keep the ant population in check wouldn't hurt, especially if you include colonies that reach a large size.
I think the best way to get a good idea of what to put in this Vivarium would to take note of a spot with high species diversity and base the ecosystem from there.

A keeper by the name of Nordic Ants created a large vivarium which lasted a couple years with many species of ants. Link here.

Whatever you choose to do I wish you luck! Keeping ants, let alone different species and genera, in a large vivarium is something I wish was more common in the community

Look into ring neck snakes(Snakes that fit in palm of hand). I have seen one or two in winter, but not any recently. This sounds like a complicated project!(You have to have heat lamps for reptiles)

The environment sounds like would take couple years to full become stable for the introduction of ants.

C. Socius is pretty beefy, and I think they grow relatively slow, but aren’t in your area and usually rare.(Nest in sand)

Edited by FloridaAnts, August 22 2022 - 7:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users