• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Help with pharaoh ants!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 26 2022 - 3:10 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Also, what is the difference between the Temnothorax and tetromorium?(Microscopic) and care

well for starters Tetramorium are much more elongated than temnothorax, and have a different body and head shape. They are also much more common in urban areas, as opposed to temnothorax which prefer forests and other undisturbed places. When it comes to care, Tetramorium colonies are much larger than temnothorax, even in small species like caldarium. They also grow much faster than temnothorax, even with a single queen.
  • smares likes this

#22 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted February 27 2022 - 1:27 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Also, the reason I have been questioning, is bc I got 2 different answers. A discord server an entomologist gave me the link, said Temnothorax and y’all say Tetromorium. Sorry about that. Also, here are some pictures of the workers. Tetromorium?

Attached Images

• FCE7F164-7592-4FBB-A707-BF457D7C662F.jpeg
  • FCC829D0-F649-4B0C-B059-1A9ABFAE8174.jpeg

• azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#23 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 27 2022 - 2:46 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
Yeah its Tetramorium. Also assuming you got the temnothorax ID from the “ants and ant keeping” discord server, you should know that the people IDing stuff there aren’t actually entomologists and that the server is well known for misidentifying common ant species.
  • smares likes this

#24 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted February 27 2022 - 3:54 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
What foods will they accept? I do have some picky ants, so I do have fruit flies if they will eat those.

#25 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 27 2022 - 3:55 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
Yeah they’ll eat fruit flies.

#26 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 3 2022 - 3:35 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Just an update:
They are doing great, and is that reproductive brood? I know the photos may be bad, but do you think those are worker or alate pupae?

Attached Images

• BA9363AA-295A-4717-AA3F-2D67ED331D63.jpeg
  • B399F7CA-6019-4995-9683-DAB722F6C78D.jpeg
  • FF00068E-1D70-4512-BE36-40A14AF8647F.jpeg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users