• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - 16/07/2021

Best Answer SYUTEO , July 16 2021 - 2:12 AM

All of them is definitely Camponotus irritans. And woah, you have a LOT of them.

ANTS_KL, you can find Camponotus queens already mated in the morning at around 6:00-9:00 A.M but their nuptial flights usually begin at around 7:00-9:00 P.M. And of course it depends on species.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline kevinchar - Posted July 16 2021 - 1:48 AM

kevinchar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Location of collection: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Date of collection: Early of May 2021

Habitat of collection: Rainforest

Length (from head to gaster): Queen: 13mm, Worker: 6.5mm

Color, hue, pattern and texture: Brownish yellow & shiny for worker. Brownish black, hairy & shiny for queen. (English is not my mother tongue, color description may not accurate.)

Distinguishing characteristics:  Egg to larva to cocoon then to ant. For queen, I don't see any petiole, just a thorn from thorax.

Distinguishing behavior: The queen will have rest period for egg laying. When being disturbed, the worker ants will show random sign of spasm (ant will suddenly lean forward and backward rapidly).

Photos:

dHQFAvd.jpg

sndUNCc.jpg

usZBwew.jpg

TLs0WfP.jpg

hJY8LPk.jpg

ENYzjT8.jpg

8izOyuz.jpg

0VATAGm.jpg

• TestSubjectOne and SYUTEO like this

#2 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 16 2021 - 1:57 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Location of collection: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Date of collection: Early of May 2021

Habitat of collection: Rainforest

Length (from head to gaster): Queen: 13mm, Worker: 6.5mm

Color, hue, pattern and texture: Brownish yellow & shiny for worker. Brownish black, hairy & shiny for queen. (English is not my mother tongue, color description may not accurate.)

Distinguishing characteristics: Egg to larva to cocoon then to ant. For queen, I don't see any petiole, just a thorn from thorax.

Distinguishing behavior: The queen will have rest period for egg laying. When being disturbed, the worker ants will show random sign of spasm (ant will suddenly lean forward and backward rapidly).

Photos:

dHQFAvd.jpg

sndUNCc.jpg

usZBwew.jpg

TLs0WfP.jpg

hJY8LPk.jpg

ENYzjT8.jpg

8izOyuz.jpg

0VATAGm.jpg

Hey fellow Malaysian! I see that looks like Camponotus irritans. May I ask how do you find them?

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • TestSubjectOne and SYUTEO like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#3 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 16 2021 - 2:12 AM   Best Answer

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

All of them is definitely Camponotus irritans. And woah, you have a LOT of them.

ANTS_KL, you can find Camponotus queens already mated in the morning at around 6:00-9:00 A.M but their nuptial flights usually begin at around 7:00-9:00 P.M. And of course it depends on species.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#4 Offline kevinchar - Posted July 16 2021 - 2:25 AM

kevinchar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hey ANTS_KL! Haha... Very happy to see another Malaysian fellow here~ :D

I found it in my room, on the floor indeed. Because my house is near to the forest, I think she flew in by herself.

I think your ID is quite accurate. Google image shows similar ant photos. Maybe I should wait for more people to reply before I mark it as solved?

By the way, on your Youtube channel, I subscribed!

#5 Offline kevinchar - Posted July 16 2021 - 2:34 AM

kevinchar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Since you currently having Camponotus irritans by yourself and can easily identify mine as well. I think I should mark it as solved.

My first colony ever and I'm living in excitement everday~ XD

#6 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 16 2021 - 2:38 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Since you currently having Camponotus irritans by yourself and can easily identify mine as well. I think I should mark it as solved.

My first colony ever and I'm living in excitement everday~ XD

Good luck with those colonies! Mine sadly has mites :(

#7 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 16 2021 - 2:39 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Hey ANTS_KL! Haha... Very happy to see another Malaysian fellow here~ :D
I found it in my room, on the floor indeed. Because my house is near to the forest, I think she flew in by herself.

I think your ID is quite accurate. Google image shows similar ant photos. Maybe I should wait for more people to reply before I mark it as solved?

By the way, on your Youtube channel, I subscribed!

Thanks!!

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#8 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 16 2021 - 2:40 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Ahh dang. I can't go out that early or my parents will come. Do you just find them walking around?

#9 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 16 2021 - 2:57 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Ahh dang. I can't go out that early or my parents will come. Do you just find them walking around?

I went out to a nearby park to go look for them. lol. It usually depends on species, for C. parius you go look for them as early as 8:00 A.M and as late as 6:00 P.M, though most of the queens are found somewhere between 9:00 A.M and 3:00 P.M. For C. irritans and C.albosparsus, they start flying as soon as the sun went down, usually it's 7:00 P.M and continue flying until 7:00 A.M, in my experience, I usually find them between 8:00 P:M-9:00 P:M at night and 9:00 A:M-12:00 P:M (C. irritans only) in the morning. Hope you can find them too!

• ANTS_KL likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users