• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What species of Formica is this?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Max_Connor - Posted June 27 2021 - 7:12 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

1. Western Siberia
2. Date: June 27th
3. Habitat of collection: the nest was in soil on a path in urban area
4. Length (from head to gaster): 6-7 mm
5. This worker has red thorax with a black spot on the pronotum, gaster is completely black, head is black at the top and the cheeks are reddish.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: see below
7. Distinguishing behavior: typical aggressive Formica behavior
8. Nest description: it is a low crater-looking pile of small sticks and dry grass blades built on a side of the path walk, which looks like a Serviformica nest

9. Nuptial flight time and date: didn't see any alates at the entrance of the nest

So I was walking along the path and saw this scene: the workers were coming out of the nest holding pupae, crossing the path and hiding in grass where I could no longer see where they were moving the pupae. There was a worker coming out of the nest every few seconds, so I caught two of them for ID. I don't think the nest was being invaded, that didn't look like a raid and I've seen this nest with these workers before.

I think it's Serviformica rufibarbis or Formica Cunicularia

Can you tell what they were doing with pupae?

IMG_20210628_092913.jpg

IMG_20210628_092927.jpg

IMG_20210628_093014.jpg

IMG_20210628_093123.jpg

IMG_20210628_093044.jpg

Edited by Max_Connor, June 27 2021 - 7:15 PM.

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted June 27 2021 - 7:24 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Rufa most likely. In that group.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline AlexLebedev - Posted June 27 2021 - 8:07 PM

AlexLebedev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Formica rufa is my best guess

What i am keeping Brachymyrmex patagonicus 1 worker x5 tetramorium immigrans 10 workers x2 lasius crypticus 5 workers Pheidole californica 6 queens150~ workers 10-30 majors, Formica argentea 10~ W

What I've kept crematogaster sp pheidole californica camponotus vicinus high elev, dumetorum,laevigatus, prenolepis imparis, pogonomyrmex californicus and subnitidus and californicus, veromessor andrei, camponotus sayi, hypoponera opacior ,Liometopum occidentale solnopsis molesta group, solenopsis xyloni.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 27 2021 - 8:16 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

It's in the rufa goup and that's the farthest you can get with those images most likely. IDing rufa group Formica, or really any Formica(aside from some distinctive species) from what I can see is rather diffcult.

Edited by NickAnter, June 27 2021 - 8:16 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline Max_Connor - Posted June 27 2021 - 8:41 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Ok, thank you!

That's the max quality of pics i can afford

Also, can I expect the cocoons to hatch on their own, or they can be 'unpacked' only by their queen?

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 28 2021 - 6:02 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Ok, thank you!
That's the max quality of pics i can afford
Also, can I expect the cocoons to hatch on their own, or they can be 'unpacked' only by their queen?

Workers help. If only queens could then colony growth would take way too long as in mature colonies queens lay hundreds and hundreds of eggs.
Edit: fixed typo

Edited by Kaelwizard, June 28 2021 - 6:02 AM.

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 28 2021 - 10:07 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
We sure this isn’t formica sanguinea? The black heads and especially the fact that they were carrying pupae makes me think this was a raid that he witnessed.

#8 Offline Max_Connor - Posted June 28 2021 - 8:15 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

We sure this isn’t formica sanguinea? The black heads and especially the fact that they were carrying pupae makes me think this was a raid that he witnessed.

Raids usually look like big columns of ants walking in a straight line, but they were kinda scattered around the path

Also Raptiformica sanguinea raid Serviformica nests, so if this was a raid, then this would be some Serviformica rufibarbis or cunicularia nest.

But there were many ants at the entrance, so the raiders wouldn't be so easily let out. It looked more like there was only one species of ant and the nest was theirs.

#9 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 28 2021 - 9:25 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Raids usually look like big columns of ants walking in a straight line, but they were kinda scattered around the path
Also Raptiformica sanguinea raid Serviformica nests, so if this was a raid, then this would be some Serviformica rufibarbis or cunicularia nest.
But there were many ants at the entrance, so the raiders wouldn't be so easily let out. It looked more like there was only one species of ant and the nest was theirs.
I'm pretty sure raptiformica raids are more disorganized, at least here. Its polyergus that have neat columns. Also, they could possibly be exiting from a nest they pillaged. It seems very weird that they would just be carrying their pupae out of the nest if it wasn’t a raid, especially for rufa group. You also describe the nest looking like a serviformica nest. This is normally the case for slave makers, as rufa group build distinct dome shaped mounds out of pine needles.

#10 Offline Max_Connor - Posted June 29 2021 - 6:22 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I'm pretty sure raptiformica raids are more disorganized, at least here. Its polyergus that have neat columns. Also, they could possibly be exiting from a nest they pillaged. It seems very weird that they would just be carrying their pupae out of the nest if it wasn’t a raid, especially for rufa group. You also describe the nest looking like a serviformica nest. This is normally the case for slave makers, as rufa group build distinct dome shaped mounds out of pine needles.

Sanguinea usually have larger soldier-type heads, and their thoraxes are brighter and more orange in color. That's what is confusing, the ones that were carrying the brood didn't look like slave makers

Maybe they were moving out some of their multiple queens? If this is indeed rufa or polyctena, that makes sense - it was just splitting of the colony.

This might be a young colony, so the nest hasn't been turned into a dome yet

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users