• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NJ Ant ID

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntBread - Posted June 26 2021 - 8:24 AM

AntBread

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew Jersery, USA
1. Location (on a map) of collection: Marlton, New Jersey
2. Date of collection: June 26, 2021
3. Habitat of collection: Tennis courts (near woods and pond)
4. Length (from head to gaster): 7-8mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: dark brown head and thorax, dark brown/black gaster with lighter stripes, 1 petiole, light brown/orangish legs
6. Distinguishing characteristics:
7. Distinguishing behavior: sluggish/calm
8. Nest description: unknown
9. Nuptial flight time and date: n/a, but caught at 10am

Attached Images

• 10FFF9B0-4E87-4F37-9973-52F8D8BD18D4.jpeg
  • BCB28C85-6CED-448F-B1F3-7FBAF888D967.jpeg
  • 07BA14F2-795B-48C2-8D1F-0CB31BA00B28.jpeg
  • C4D7209E-B71F-414D-984C-BA535717BDE6.jpeg
  • 8F0146C2-6660-4FB6-9933-D2A827953027.jpeg

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 26 2021 - 8:32 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Chthonolasius sp.

She is parasitic and will need host workers.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline futurebird - Posted June 29 2021 - 7:24 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Is it true that often you can tell a queen is parasitic if she has thick legs? And is that related to the thing where queens bite off each other's legs?

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 29 2021 - 7:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,790 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The best body parts to focus on are the gaster and head. Parasite have thick heads and small gasters.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Bugging3out - Posted June 29 2021 - 9:53 AM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

That’s a lasius claviger.

go into a field and lift sone rocks and with luck on your side you'll find a lasius nest. Take some brood. If there is pupae you can give the cocoons straight to the parasitic queen. If you find lasius larvae and workers put them in a test tube setup and then wait till the larvae pupate then put the cocoons in with the queen. With no luck you should let the queen go. :D  

peace  :afro:

peace!  :afro:

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 29 2021 - 10:34 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

That’s a lasius claviger.
go into a field and lift sone rocks and with luck on your side you'll find a lasius nest. Take some brood. If there is pupae you can give the cocoons straight to the parasitic queen. If you find lasius larvae and workers put them in a test tube setup and then wait till the larvae pupate then put the cocoons in with the queen. With no luck you should let the queen go. :D  

peace  :afro:

no. Claviger is much more shiny and deep brown color. This is clearly aphidicola.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#7 Offline Bugging3out - Posted June 29 2021 - 2:06 PM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

That’s not even a ant species that’s a bacteria, look it up.

#8 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted June 29 2021 - 2:20 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationNew York

Lasius aphidicola is an ant species, look it up.

• CatsnAnts and PetsNotPests like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 29 2021 - 2:58 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#10 Offline Bugging3out - Posted June 30 2021 - 6:49 AM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

Not true you know you are making fun of a 9 year old right? I am 9 year old. And I am about to keep fire ants so I know this is an adult hobby but I joined in too. My parents think it’s amazing that I know so much, I am sorry I don’t KNOW EVERY SINGLE ANT SPECIES. but get out of here. Thank you good bye.

. :D 

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 30 2021 - 7:04 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Not true you know you are making fun of a 9 year old right? I am 9 year old. And I am about to keep fire ants so I know this is an adult hobby but I joined in too. My parents think it’s amazing that I know so much, I am sorry I don’t KNOW EVERY SINGLE ANT SPECIES. but get out of here. Thank you good bye.

I apologize for upsetting you but perhaps you should leave identifications you might not know for sure to the keepers who have been doing this for years? I don’t know too many different ant species myself so I tend to avoid identifications for ones I am unsure of. With that being said, I often check the threads after the ant has been identified in order to learn from the people who have more knowledge than I do. It also helps to check websites like AntMaps (though this website isn’t always the most accurate) to see what ants may live in the location of the ant that needs an identification.
  • ANTdrew and DDD101DDD like this

#12 Offline Bugging3out - Posted June 30 2021 - 7:09 AM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

Okay thank you.

• Kaelwizard likes this

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 30 2021 - 7:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,790 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#14 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 30 2021 - 7:56 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Doubling up on what Kael said, do calm down a little please.  Constructive criticism is, in my opinion, the best way to give feedback.  Don't trust all books since new records are being taken every day; you might've heard of Lasius umbratus being in your area.  Well, recent studies in the past ten years showed that it's actually a closely related species native to here called Lasius aphidicola (which is what Manitobant was talking about). 

This is not meant to offense any new ant keepers, but in the AKE anting discord there is an option to choose either "New" "Intermediate" and "Expert".  The biggest mistake I see new ant keepers make is that they choose "Intermediate" or "Expert" because they think they know a lot.  They quickly change after realizing everyone still has a lot to learn about, as Harvard professor and well known mymecologist E. O. Wilson calls them, "The little things that run the world".  Now only 12 people have that role, which probably should still be less.

The last thing I'm putting in this post is that fire ants mean nothing.  There are no "hard" species or "beginner" species.  It really just depends on the care level.  Solenopsis geminata group is just well known to be fast growing, always hungry, and great escape artists (also with their infamous sting).  It just takes the right care for them.  And even then S. geminata isn't for everyone.  Take someone on this forums, Amatty76 for example.  He started antkeeping about a year ago and successfully managed to have slave making colonies, which isn't known to be easy.  However, like I stated, with the right care that monkey somehow managed to keep a thriving colony.

Take this how you will, but if my mom taught me anything, it's that age is just a number.  Though she probably didn't mean it in the way I'm meaning it, but always try to learn more.  Ants always are surprising everyone in the hobby, even if they are just small behavioural things.  

• NickAnter and DDD101DDD like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#15 Offline AntBread - Posted June 30 2021 - 8:05 AM

AntBread

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew Jersery, USA
Thanks for the help but geez that escalated quickly
  • Chickalo likes this

#16 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 30 2021 - 8:07 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

if you are 9, you probably shouldn’t be using this forum.

Edited by Manitobant, June 30 2021 - 8:07 AM.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 30 2021 - 9:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,790 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Agreed
  • CatsnAnts and Chickalo like this

#18 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted June 30 2021 - 3:33 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Also as a side note: The number one age group for GAN sales is 9-16*, so you're in the majority when it comes to ant hobbyists. Maybe, this isn't the most popular age group for avid antkeepers, but it's still the majority of antkeeprses.

*Sorry to do some slight derailing, but does anyone know why kids love bugs so much? When I was a youngin, lots of kids liked bugs, myself included. Now it seems like I'm the only one of those kids to still like bugs.

#19 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 30 2021 - 6:30 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Chill kid chill, I agree with kael. You should leave the ID of sp u not sure to the more experienced keepers.
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#20 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 30 2021 - 6:34 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Not true you know you are making fun of a 9 year old right? I am 9 year old. And I am about to keep fire ants so I know this is an adult hobby but I joined in too. My parents think it’s amazing that I know so much, I am sorry I don’t KNOW EVERY SINGLE ANT SPECIES. but get out of here. Thank you good bye.. :D

if you are 9, you probably shouldn’t be using this forum.
then what's the recommended age? I'm 12 lmao and a proven idiot too for trying to keep hard sp when I started. Somehow succeeded tho... Honestly I don't recommend fire ants for beginners cuz of the sting but whatever suits u dude
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users