• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colorado 7-27

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 27 2020 - 2:52 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Caught these along the edge of a canal with Devi
7-8 mm

Plains habitat

Nuptial flight at 4:00 pm

Red with extremely skinny waist

Drones are black with red gaster

Are they fully claustral?

Can there be colonies with multiple queens?

0EDA11E5 69FF 4CB6 AB1A B1096039593E

Thanks for your help!

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#2 Offline Devi - Posted July 27 2020 - 2:53 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

It looks like solenopsis, but I did the sting test and they definetly didn't sting...  I thought maybe some sort of camponotus, but I think the head and coloring looks a lot different. Maybe Pheidole?  It doesn't really look like that though, definetly more red than it looks in the picture.

Edited by Devi, July 27 2020 - 2:57 PM.

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 27 2020 - 3:14 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It looks like solenopsis, but I did the sting test and they definetly didn't sting...  I thought maybe some sort of camponotus, but I think the head and coloring looks a lot different. Maybe Pheidole?  It doesn't really look like that though, definetly more red than it looks in the picture.

Be glad they didn't sting you, these have the most potent venom of all ants  :lol:  They're in the genus Pogonomyrmex. And a word of advice for future IDs, try to not rely on color so much. Pheidole are the most diverse genus of ants and they can't be IDed with just color. 

• Froggy likes this

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 27 2020 - 3:16 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You can put them into groups, but it not all of them may survive. Most Pogonomyrmex are just pleometric if I recall, not truly polygynous. The genus does better if provided with seeds during founding, they are a grainivourus genus that will also love any insects you give them.

#5 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted July 27 2020 - 3:18 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Be glad they didn't sting you, these have the most potent venom of all ants  :lol:  They're in the genus Pogonomyrmex. And a word of advice for future IDs, try to not rely on color so much. Pheidole are the most diverse genus of ants and they can't be IDed with just color. 

I second this.

You can put them into groups, but it not all of them may survive. Most Pogonomyrmex are just pleometric if I recall, not truly polygynous. The genus does better if provided with seeds during founding, they are a grainivourus genus that will also love any insects you give them.

Some species, like subnitidus, are polygynous.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. argentea

Formica cf. aserva, cf. subintegra

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Pheidole bicarinata

Myrmica sp.

Lasius neoniger, brevicornis

#6 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 27 2020 - 3:19 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I third this.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#7 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 27 2020 - 3:26 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Thank you guys! They look like they could be closely related to pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Edited by Spazmops, July 27 2020 - 3:31 PM.

Ants I have:

#8 Offline Devi - Posted July 27 2020 - 3:33 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the help. :)

#9 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 27 2020 - 3:42 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Do you have two accounts on the forum?

• RushmoreAnts likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#10 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 27 2020 - 4:17 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Do you have two accounts on the forum?

I do not. That’s my friend Devi, he was anting with me and caught quite a few ants himself. We decided I should make the post though because we didn’t need two.

• Antkid12 likes this

Ants I have:

#11 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 28 2020 - 3:30 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Oh, ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users