• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Unexpected find, ID help?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dethundrel - Posted July 26 2020 - 12:14 PM

Dethundrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado
Was out in the desert tonight looking for scorpions (got ‘em) and while doing so, my daughter picked up a really old clay pigeon to look under it. Instead of our intended quarry, this queen was just coming out of her burrow that she dug under it. Would appreciate any help ID’ing.

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Grand Junction, CO.
2. Date of collection: 7-25-20
3. Habitat of collection: Straight up desert.
4. Length (from head to gaster): Just a touch over 15mm.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: black head and gaster. Thorax is black on top but brown/dark orange underneath to match leg color.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Has quite long hairs on gaster.
7. Distinguishing behavior: Was quite slow when trying to get away after being spotted. Cannot climb glass or plastic even in the slightest.
8. Nest description: Never saw any nests of this type of ant.
9. Nuptial flight time and date: No idea when they flew, this one already had a burrow going, not sure how deep or far along she was.

She is a little dusty as the dirt she ran to after being discovered was very powdery.

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 26 2020 - 12:21 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Looks like C. vicinus! Excellent find. I'm hoping to find some in two weeks in the sierras.

• VoidElecent and Somethinghmm like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 26 2020 - 1:55 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
As somebody who keeps them, I am nearly sure that is Campontous vicinus.

Edited by TechAnt, July 26 2020 - 11:34 PM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#4 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted July 26 2020 - 3:19 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Looks like C. vicinus! Excellent find. I'm hoping to find some in two weeks in the sierras.

As somebody who keeps them, I am nearly sure that is Campontous Vicinus.

I third this. Also, keep in mind that vicinus (goes for any species) is not capitalized. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. argentea

Formica cf. aserva, cf. subintegra

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Pheidole bicarinata

Myrmica sp.

Lasius neoniger, brevicornis

#5 Offline Dethundrel - Posted July 26 2020 - 5:03 PM

Dethundrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado
Thanks for the replies!

Of the pictures I’ve looked up of that species, both the queen and workers have a big stalk right in front of their gaster that is a separate structure, this queen does not. I also found a few workers in the area that look very similar to this queen, and none of them have it either.

When looking at the queen pictures on Antwiki, you can clearly see those have it. The mandibles in that picture also do not match the ones on the queen I caught.

Is there a possibility it could be something else?

#6 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 26 2020 - 11:34 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

As somebody who keeps them, I am nearly sure that is Campontous Vicinus.

I third this. Also, keep in mind that vicinus (goes for any species) is not capitalized.
Mis-wrote, let me edit that. I dunno why but I have a habit of capitalizing species name lol.
  • RushmoreAnts likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#7 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted July 27 2020 - 5:19 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Thanks for the replies!

Of the pictures I’ve looked up of that species, both the queen and workers have a big stalk right in front of their gaster that is a separate structure, this queen does not. I also found a few workers in the area that look very similar to this queen, and none of them have it either.

When looking at the queen pictures on Antwiki, you can clearly see those have it. The mandibles in that picture also do not match the ones on the queen I caught.

vicinus have many different color and size variations, ranging from orange, red, all black, black with a little red or orange, etc. Some are polygynous, and some are not. It's a very complex species.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. argentea

Formica cf. aserva, cf. subintegra

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Pheidole bicarinata

Myrmica sp.

Lasius neoniger, brevicornis

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 27 2020 - 10:51 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Thanks for the replies!

vicinus have many different color and size variations, ranging from orange, red, all black, black with a little red or orange, etc. Some are polygynous, and some are not. It's a very complex species.

that's because it's not a single species.

Vicinus is a species complex that has yet to be seperated.

• Somethinghmm and RushmoreAnts like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users